• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My Cavalier is afraid of my new puppy

ddbl43

Help...I just got a new puppy yesterday (a companion for my 2yr old King Charles. D.J.) well, D.J. is running from the puppy!!! I got a puppy maltipoo, but DJ runs in his cage to get away from the puppy or the puppy is jumping on and trying to nip DJ. DJ runs to me for help so I pick up the puppy to come DJ down. I know they need to work it out, but I don't want the puppy hurting DJ or making him more timid than what he is.

Any suggestions will be welcome:confused:

Harvey was scared stiff when we got Alfie as the puppy kept running up to him and jumping on him. We let Harvy up onto the sofa so he could get away from Alfie when he had enough. It took a couple of weeks for him to get used to the pup but believe me in no time they will become inseperable/ This is my two now.
815186061_3212328ac8.jpg

Gus was the same for a few days when we got Pippin,but look at my avatar, they're best friends now.

Teddy was scared stiff of katydid when she came home....took a while to get him to stay in the same room with her during the day when I was around. I'd say it took about a month for him not to run and hide. I pulled an intervention one day and gated them both in the kitchen while I was cooking. Graduallly it got better and better. They snuggle now and Teddy tolerates her most of the time and at least once a day they play chase all over the first floor of the house. I love when they do this!
It just took lots of time.

I've got to ask the question... what is a malipoo?

Okay, couple of things....

Yes, it is not uncommon for an adult dog to be frightened of a new puppy. Puppies are very bitey with very sharp teeth & they are often very hyper. This can equate to utter misery for an older dog unless he can be provided with relief from the puppy.

It is very important that you provide a means of escape for your older dog. This can be achieved often by simply purchasing a fairly low x-pen, opening it out & using it as a room divider. You can then perhaps put a chair or something nearby that your older dog can use to jump from one side to the other. This will give him the option of either playing with the puppy or having a break from him.

DJ runs to me for help so I pick up the puppy to come DJ down.

By all means, pick up your puppy for cuddles... who could resist that? Certainly not me! However, be aware that height plays a very important role in the pecking order of dogs. A dog that is place in a physically higher position that another dog is being placed in a more alpha position than the other dog, and this can cause problems. I would suggest that when the puppy is being annoying, you just hold him back with your hands, but do not pick him up. Gently push him away & into an area where he can not annoy your adult dog.

I know they need to work it out, but I don't want the puppy hurting DJ or making him more timid than what he is.

Yes, in the end, they do need to work it out, but you can make the transition a little more smooth, and along the way start setting some ground rules for the puppy.

Two is great fun, three is even better... so have a great time. :)

Im guessing a malipoo is a cross between a maltese & a poodle? May well be wrong but I know cocker spaniels cross poodles are apparently now called "cockapoo":confused:

Yes, It's a cross between a Maltese and a Poodle. I guess it will just take a while...This puppy is soooo hyper:eek:.
and yes, DJ can escape, he has a couch in their room (dog's room) that only he can jump up on for relieve. Even still DJ lets the puppy consistenly bite at his ears, legs and tail without really dominating the puppy, I however tell the puppy "No" after a while and put it away. I know I shouldn't be interventing but....:rolleyes:
Anyway....thanks everyone for the great advice:)

Dana

I think you should be helping DJ when he needs it. Puppies can be relentless. I still have to correct Scout and he's 19 months old, to leave Breeze alone. Almost everytime Breeze stands up to move or walk Scout jumps at her and bites her ears. Everyday. I've seen my mother's neighbors puppy bite at her other two dogs and not a word is said. I would have to correct that. I know they have to work it out, but not at the expense of skin and ears....LOL

Back