• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bad Thanksgiving - Vomiting

BostonGirl

I'm concerned Bella has been vomiting for the last hour. She has vomited about 10 times or so. At first she threw up turkey and now it is just white and foamy. She got quite a bit of turkey today from my niece and I'm sure she had too much to eat and now has an upset stomach but I'm worried as she keeps vomiting. Should I just give her time to relax or should I try to get her to a vet tonight?? I'm worried as she has never had a vomiting fit like this before. Any advice appreciated...her first Thanksgiving didn't turn out to be as fun for her as I had hoped :-(

My heart dropped when I read this. As Karlin has said....you need to see a vet ASAP. Turkey can be very dangerous especially if she's eaten so much she is throwing up.

Hoping she is okay. Please let us know....I will be worrying until we hear from you.

This summer Robbie starting vomiting every few minutes..after 1/2 hour we went to the ER and he was diagnosed with pancreatitis..this was after 1 piece of steak at dinner time and some cheese earlier in the day...he spent about 15 hours at the ER vet..which after reading up on it is actually on the short side as usual hospitilization is 2-4 days..the pancreas litterally starts digesting itself..get your dog to the ER.

hope everything turns out okay!! and to think, almost JUST fed Veda Turkey as it is in my lap right now and then I read this. Thank goodness.

Keep us posted.

Count me as one of many that has never given a thought to giving the dogs turkey scraps. :eek:

Should we be concerned about a kibble that has turkey??

Good luck to Bella!! I hope she's feeling better!! :)

As far as I know, Turkey itself in smaller amounts is not directly dangerous to a dog.. after all, there are "turkey strips" and turkey as an ingredient in many foods.

from http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogdiseasesp/a/pancreatitis.htm

Hyperlipidemia (high fat content in blood)
High fat meal (trigger for hyperlipidemia)

These are two of the common causes of pancreatitis. My mother's dog got it after eating turkey as well. I think she just got a fat-overload and got really sick from it.

I'm very careful of the table scraps I give my dogs because of this.

*HUGZ* to bella - I hope she's feeling better soon :hug::hug:

OMG I'm so sorry to read this. I hope Bella has stopped vomiting and has seen the Vet. Get well soon little one :hug::hug:

This is scary! I gave Daisy a small amount of white meat turkey (breast meat, no skin at all), and some turkey liver. She seems fine, thank goodness. I hope little Bella is OK. I would never give Daisy the skin or copious quantities of turkey, but I thought turkey was one of the good low-fat meats that I could give her, so I didn't worry. And there are tons of freeze-dried turkey liver treats on the market. Actually, the only dog food Daisy will eat is a turkey and barley formula, so she gets turkey every day.

I read this thread last night so I was really worried. I looked online and most of the sites talked about lots of high fat turkey skin, dressing, mashed potatoes, etc. instead of turkey meat specifically. But I watched her like a hawk last night.

I am so uncertain about how much human food is Ok (if any). Some people say none at all, some say they feel sorry for dogs that only get dry dog food, some say all human food. Yikes-- what's a neurotic dog mom to do? Our first two dogs we had when I was a kid got quite a bit of human food, the 2nd set of two dogs got almost none except for popcorn. I started out having Daisy only eat dog food and absolutely no human food, but then from reading this site, I started to supplement her dry food with meat from our table (if it is low-fat and not fried.) So now I don't even know if that's OK.

Anyway, I hope Bella is OK and I am thinking of her today. I hope we hear some good news soon! :xfngr:

Well after a night of no sleep and unstoppable tears Bella is at the vet and under very close supervision. We took her to the emergency room and found out that it was in fact her pancreas. It has been a very very scary night and I am still terrified as I type this. The doctor said that yes this could kill a dog and it is very serious. They are keeping her through the weekend and have her on IV, pain meds, antibiotics, etc. I called twice this morning and they said she seems to be doing well - her vitals are all good and they said she was very playful this morning. I won't know for sure if she is improving until they do another round of bloodwork tonight to see if her counts are closer to normal again. The vet said it is caused by the diet and could be brought on just by a few pieces of turkey but I think another cause to this was the fact that she ate some cat food the day before Thanksgiving. We are at my parent's house for the holiday and she accidentially got into some of thier cat's food. I didn't think too much of it - I know that cat food isnt good for dogs but I didn't think one small amt one time could really cause harm. She didn't show any signs until after she had the turkey on Thanksgiving though but I'm sure the cat food had something to do with it. I am so mad at myself that I didn't know that a few table scraps could do this much harm. She really only had a few pieces of very lean skinless turkey - I feel like most people feed thier dogs some table scraps here and there and I can't believe its not more widely known that this could cause so much harm. I mean for a while we were feeding her canned Merrick's Thanksgiving Day Dinner that has chunks of turkey in it. I thought I did my research on everything concerning her health but some how I missed this and am very upset with myself right now. The vet also told us that the chicken we have been mixing in with her food to entice her to eat is also maybe part of the problem. Again, I'm shocked here as well because I know alot of people who make homecooked meals with chicken and feed it to their dog everyday. I just want to whole heartedly thank the quick responses to my original post because that is what got us to the vet. I never would I thought it could have been that serious if I didn't come to this board. I just thought she had an upset stomach from eating different things. We are going to go visit her soon and I hope I deal okay with having to say goodbye to her a second time once our visting time is up. It was sooo hard to leave her last night and I can't believe I'll be without her all weekend. Please keep her in your thoughts this weekend for a speedy recovery - she is the sweetest girl and doesn't deserve this. I'll keep you guys posted.

Wow! I'm so glad to hear that they think she is doing better! She is in my prayers that her bloodwork will show great improvement.

And Daisy will not be getting any more turkey meat, lean or not. I'm so sorry you are all going through this. It sounds like she is doing better, and you know she is in good hands, so those are both positive things to focus on.

We'll all be thinking of you and Bella. I wish you the best!

It is all very confusing -- chicken and turkey within dog food are OK, chicken or turkey by itself -- not ok.

Thank goodness you got her to the vet. I'm betting she is going to be okay...just needs to get over this hurdle. Don't beat yourself up....you didn't know. Lots of people don't and at the holidays a lot of e-mails and posts go up to warn people about pancreatitis and rich holidays food...because they don't know. A small bite of turkey shouldn't normally cause a problem, but then you read what Deb said about Riley eating a small piece of steak. We had a Cavalier in rescue who had an attack of pancreatitis. He can't eat anything at all outside of his regular diet because he is especially prone to stomach problems. Sometimes that's just the way it is.

I'm just so relieved to read that you reacted quickly and got her to the vet's office for care. Praying she is going to be okay. Let us know as soon as you hear more. I'm encouraged to hear that she is okay at this point and her vitals are stable and she is playful. All great signs that she is doing okay.

Poor Bella! I hope she's feeling better soon. This board is definitely a great resource and thank goodness you posted about what was happening with Bella.

Try not to beat yourself up; we can't know everything about what is good or bad for our pets, and on top of that they are individuals and all react differently to different things. Now you have new knowledge and that is what counts, plus you reacted right away and got her into the ER.. a quick response is important and that's what you did. From Bella's response to treatment so far it sounds as though the medical intervention is working.

I'll be thinking of you all and watching for updates. Take care and be calm!

I'm so glad you got Bella in and hope she will be okay..Robbie had his Pancreatitis attack in August and hasn't had another since then...he was at the ER Vet for about 15 hours on IV's and meds to calm him down..he's been luck enough to be able to go back his regular kibble, but I watch the fat in treats I give him and he gets no people food except for boiled chicken tenders that I use for training treats..I did join the yahoo pancreatitis list also.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/dogpancreatitis/messages

Hoping Bella recovers soon.

Soooooo, my question is can they have boiled chicken???? I have been giving Dixie boiled chicken for training treats too. Is this bad for her? I believe I have read on this site that when a dog's stomach is upset that boiled chicken and rice is a recommended diet, but now I question chicken. Advice needed, please. Judy and Dixie
PS Boston Girl, I am thinking of you and Bella....can't wait to hear that she is over the hurdle and at home in your arms.

Boiled white meat chicken is okay..I personally buy the big bag of chicken tenders (breast meat) at Costco and boil those up for Robbie.

I am glad Bella is where she is getting excellent care and am sure she will be ok. :flwr:

Some dogs cannot manage turkey in small amounts or any meat in small amounts especially fatty meats. The article I posted at the top of the thread gives a good overview of the problem. Turkey skin is known to be particularly dangerous.

Meat processed into kibble is different -- and total meat content in a kibble is generally moderate.

I don't think processed cat food would have caused the problem. It is almost always due to the dog being given lots of scraps that are fatty over time though for some reason fresh turkey meat seems to cause more problems. Probably because a few small pieces tend to be actually a huge amount of meat compared to a normal diet and also that people baste the turkey, those fats penetrate the flesh, and often the turkey pieces have been sitting in turkey grease or on a plate where there's melted butter etc.

One of my rescue dogs very probably had a similar failure last Christmas as she was regularly fed chicken and had become overweightt. She was in the emergency room for 2-3 days on a drip after a large feeding session of table scraps, primarily cooked chicken. Again, during the holidays when people give the dog scraps. Once the dog is at risk of such attacks they really need to have the at risk meats cut from their diet completely.

Back