• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Childrens cough medicine/Is this ok to do?????

estelle

Hi,

My new puppy has got a cough and is rattling quite a bit, he's on antibiotics but the breeder said to me that I could give him a little bit of childrens cough medicine to ease it!!!

Is this ok to do? I've never heard this before and just wanted to check it out on here first!

Thanks everyone

I would wait and ask my vet. I have never heard of anyone giving it to dogs.
But maybe someone here has better advice.
Connie

i gave Harry calpol when he was castrated, 2.5mg i was told by my vet that this was safe to do. not sure about cough syrup, tho harry hates the smell from mark's lol

When my friends dog got kennel cough she was told to give him some cough medicine by the vet. Wasnt told to give him childrens just normal.

I have used Children's Benylin on my dogs with coughs, but I wouldn't on a very young puppy without vet's advice.

my sister gives her dogs benylin , very messy though.

I had a very bad cough myself last week & read somewhere that its best to avoid cough medicine if you have a chest infection because you are supressing the body's ability to clear your lungs

You need to get a vet to investigate why your dog has a cough. This is not something that should be simply guessed at, and in fact to use a cough suppressant is some types of cough is dangerous.

There are two different types of cough medicines. Some that suppress a cough (a suppressant), for dry tickly throat and some that decongest (an expectorant). The latter does not actually suppress the cough but instead helps the afflicted person/animal cough up the nasty stuff.

It is dangerous to suppress a cough if it is classed as "productive". To do so can lead to pneumonia. As you have described your dog's cough as "rattly" it is likely that it is productive, and you most definitely don't want to use a suppressant.

Get your vet to advise you. :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone,

Just to say we havn't given him any we're gonna wait and see what the vet says, hopefully we can get him in today?

It sounds like kennel cough which definitely needs vet attention as in a puppy, it can swiftly turn into pneumonia -- but it sounds like your vet has seen this pup already?

You can give cough syrup to help make the dog or pup more comfortable but definitely OK this with your vet. If you have been seeing a vet already about the cough, you can probably just call in and ask about using cough syrup and how much to give -- you probably wouldn't need an actual appointment.

Back