• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tangled tails

Pavane

Barkleigh's tail is busy wagging high but also seems to tangle with all his enthusiasms over life. The stiffer hair tangles far worse than his silky coat and he HATES me to slowly work out the knots. I've tried rubbing some human hair conditioner in and that helps, especially after a bath. I also resort to clipping out the worst spots to save him the annoyance. Anyone with any tricks or products? (I am tempted to rub in peanut butter the way you remove gum from a kid's hair, but dogs aren't supposed to have nuts and he'd go nuts trying to eat his tail!

Other options?

I have found with Cavaliers that it is best if you can give them a daily brushing, or even twice daily if this fits into the schedule. It seems to me that a 1 minute brushing twice daily, over time is less work that say a twice a week brushing.

Do any of you remember a really old fashioned men's hair product called Brylcream? (It is probably a bit nerdy these days). Maybe it is an Aussie product. Anyway, after my dog's shampoo I rub a small amount into the coat & it seems to completely anti-static the coat, thus reducing knots. Might be worth a try if you can get a hold of some.

I used to give a good brush once or twice a week..nightmare!Now I brush for a minute or two,every morning and maybe evening too...a lot less hassle.They do still get knots, pippin works them into his ears when scratching, and they seem to get them under their arms.I tend to cut out the bad ones.

I kind of think of it as with kids or ourselves..we brush our hair and teeth every day..so I do the same for the dogs.Imagine our hair if we only brushed it twice a week!

I have that same problem with Shelby's tail. The texture of her hair is so different from Jake's, it's kind of coarse. Like Pippa and Caraline, I've found the solution is to brush it a couple of times a day. I have a brush by my chair and when she sits in my lap she gets her tail and ears brushed.

Not sure where you got the info about dogs not eating nuts but the only nut that is bad for them are macademias. Lots of us give peanut butter as a treat! :) But peanutbutter would only help with gum in the tail, or tar -- not for matts. It would only make matts really gunky!!

On tails -- I find a good grooming conditioner (spray on)really helps -- I have been using The Stuff and it really helps prevent matts.

I also have several grooming sprays I use. I like The Stuff, Paul Mitchell and Isle of Dogs (pricey!! but smells fantastic and doesn't leave a residue) spray-on grooming sprays. I have found that a spray really helps the tangles come out a lot easier.

I have used a little baby oil massaged in the knots, the only problem with that is you then need to bath them. This works on both tail and bum mats. I was also told to massage another product into it, I will have to fet back to you though on what it was ( maybe corn starch or talcum powder??). I will find out for sure and let you know.

It is cornstarch, massage corn starch into the dry knot and then gently comb it out. I have yet to try it, but the lady who told me this swears by it!

Do any of you remember a really old fashioned men's hair product called Brylcream? (It is probably a bit nerdy these days). Maybe it is an Aussie product. Anyway, after my dog's shampoo I rub a small amount into the coat & it seems to completely anti-static the coat, thus reducing knots. Might be worth a try if you can get a hold of some.

Brylcreem

Ahh, memories of my childhood, Dad standing there with the red pot taking a big hand full to slick through his hair. Doesn’t use it now, well not much hair there to use if for and I don’t think he would have been impressed if I ask to try some on the dog. :lol:

He still doesn’t know he shared the same hair clippers with my yorkie.icon_whistling

Back