• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Another Leixlip CKCS Owner

Moll

Hi! It's great to see Leixlip and Lucan Cavalier owners! I live in Leixlip. I was the very proud owner (slave!) of a blenheim and a tricolour until last week when my beautiful blenheim Jack died in my arms. He was just 8 years old and had heart problems. I have Lady (8) & we are consoling each other. I'm not even thinking of a new family member just yet, but would welcome all the advice I can get to avoid all the usual health problems.

Oh, so sorry to hear about Jack. I can't imagine how hard that must have been on you. Glad to have you here and sure you will get plenty of guidance when you're ready.

Im so sorry about the loss of your dog...how heart breaking for you. Please know we are all here for you and would love to get to know you a bit better....again, Im so very sorry!

I am so sorry about your loss, but how wonderful that he left in your arms. I am so glad that you are here. Welcome. Judy and Dixie

So sorry about your loss :( I cant imagine how you are feeling. Its great to see another Leixlip person, I am originally from Leixlip, moved to Westmeath last year but my family still live in Leixlip. Post some pictures when you get a chance

Thanks Sue. I really am missing him. It's great to hear from someone who understands how important one's dog is and the sheer grief of losing him. I want to get another, but I think it's best to wait until I can smile when I think of Jack. I cannot bring myself to look at my photos yet of which there are scores. I will always have a cavalier (or 2) in my life! Thanks again, Maura

Thanks for your message, ice-cavi. I know I'm definitely in the right forum when I get such lovely messages from fellow cavalier lovers!

Thanks Cathy. I WILL need the guidance when the time is right. I need to get over Jack first. You can't replace a dog. But I think Lady and I will come to need a companion in time.
Many thanks! M.

Hi and welcome. I know how u are feeling my Sam died nearly 3 weeks ago with heart problems as well. It is so hard, i find even though my other 2 are helping me cope sometimes i am doing stuff with them like maybe bringing them for a walk and suddenly it hits me that Sam should be here with them. Also i really miss the routine i had with Sam like bringing him for his millionth toilet break of the day because of his fluid tablets.
This is really the first time since i posted about his death that i have written about him as i type this tears are streaming down my face. I wish i could tell u it gets easier ,i know it does,but i havent reached that point yet.
All i can say is that its this board and its members that have helped me through, as everyone is so friendly and other members have been through this and so can give great advice and support.

Hi Sally,
thanks for your message. How old was Sam & was he ill for long? It is amazing how individual dogs of the same breed can be so different in "person"ality. There is just no replacing an individual little creature and the quirky little routines and ways you've developed over so many years. But would I do it all over again? Yes. No other creature brings such joy.
I'm sorry if I made you cry, but at least I know I'm not alone to feel the way I do. Let's keep in touch, Maura

Hi Sally,
thanks for your message. How old was Sam & was he ill for long? It is amazing how individual dogs of the same breed can be so different in "person"ality. There is just no replacing an individual little creature and the quirky little routines and ways you've developed over so many years. But would I do it all over again? Yes. No other creature brings such joy.
I'm sorry if I made you cry, but at least I know I'm not alone to feel the way I do. Let's keep in touch, Maura

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! My Jasper is suffering from heart problems right now and I'm so emotional at the idea of him dying, I just can't imagine. They are just so special, to lose a pet is just impossibly devastating. Its good that you were there with your cav til the very end, I'm sure that was comforting for the dog.

You and your family are in my thoughts.

Hi Sally,
Sam had just gone 8. Sam was a rescue dog that i got of Karlin a yr ago. So not sure of his history though i knew about his heart murmer before i took him on. I would still do the same today.

Hi Betsy,
thanks for your message. I'm sorry about Jasper, but please don't worry too much. Enjoy him! Jack's condition deteriorated quickly and unexpectedly. My other cavalier (Lady), who is snoozing on the couch beside me here, also has a heart murmur, is on meds, is the same age as Jack was, but is expected to live for years.
I am lonely for Jack & the tears come easily, but I would not have missed one moment with him for anything. These dogs are just magical. To be able to share even some years of our lives with them is such a joy. I know my kids will always talk about Jack when they are talking about their childhoods.
I will always be grateful that he died in his favourite place, my lap! Jack knew nothing but love. Don't think beyond the day and the fun you're having now.
Keep in touch!
Maura

Hi Sallymum,
you really were brave to take on Sam knowing he had a heart murmer. My other cavalier (Lady) also has one. I think it seems to be part of having a cavalier! Lady was the "runt" of the litter, her siblings were all exported to the USA. The reason she was left was because she had an overbite and wasn't quite as pretty! Oh boy, were we lucky!

I am in a bit of a dilemma about the future. Adopting seems the sensible thing to do, especially given the lack of regulation on breeding healthy dogs. And I've had mail from someone whose dog died at only a year old. It seems you've got to take the risk of loving and losing, but the loving is worth it with the most adorable creatures we choose to share our lives with.
Moll

Back