• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier Puppy and Sleep

My wife and I are the proud new owners of Copernicus (Copper) and 16 week old Blenhiem boy.

My question is how much sleep is normal for him at this age?

Ummm -- I am American. :lol: What were you trying to ask -- maybe rephrase? :confused: It is hard to give specific numbers (hours) as all puppies are different but they nap a LOT all day and sleep a lot at night. Very like children. Around 5-6 months or so this eases off and they sleep less, but even adult dogs sleep a lot!

You all have me chuckling!! :p

How much sleep.....lots!! I got so frustrated when Jake was a puppy because I wanted to play with him and as soon as it got fun...he'd fall asleep. Now....boy am I grateful when he goes to take a nap!! :D

Hee hee, my 4-1/2 month old Barkley has TWO SPEEDS...crashed...and FULL SPEED AHEAD!!!!There is a lot more crash time than full speed ahead time. He's funny to watch when he is sooooo sleepy and trying to stay awake.I know that isn't a direct answer but I wil echo the others...they sleep a LOT!

hey u guys,
i read a book specific to the cavalier breed, and it says as puppies it is normal for them to sleep up to 16hrs/day (not all in a row of course!)
hope this clears anything up.
:rolleyes::)

ha ha!! lots is the best way to put this - Harvey slept sooooo much as a puppy and I have to say that it hasn't warn off much. I particularly noticed that when he was having a big growing period he slept more. Just looking at them sleeping makes me fall asleep too they are sooo cute. I'm sure I became more at home sleeping on the couch with Harvey since I got him - watch out :)

Crikey our puppy used to be running around like a loony one minute and just collapse in a heep the next and be fast asleep. They love sleep. Even now that he is 4 he still sleeps a lot. During his waking hours though he is very lively!

That's definitely a hard question. Libby just races and then passes out! As you get to know him, you will see him develop a routine just like kids. Every night, Libby would play around 10pm for about 30minutes. By 10:30 she was ready for bed. She still comes to life around 10pm and by 11, she is ready to sleep again.

They do sleep lots, but just like kids you will eventually be happy when they do nap!

I remember Scout running around like crazy, playing all out, then one second later she was asleep just that fast. She would sleep maybe an hour or two and it would all start over again.

Back