PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about a coat...

lb0024
27th November 2007, 07:16 PM
Hello all,

Now that the weather is changing, my dog walker asked if Molly has any coats. She said it would be good to help keep her warm and dry, and besides, all the other dogs she walks have coats! It's not as if I needed an excuse to purchase something else for my little baby, but certainly this is as good a reason as any! :lol:

So I went to Petsmart to see what they had. I made a selection and brought it home. When I got home, it occurred to me... with a coat, you can't use a harness. I don't like walking Molly with a collar... you all understand, I know... so my question is... for those of you who have coats for your cavs, do you just use a collar? I think some people use "regular" harnesses over coats (I only have the Puppia harnesses made of material) but I'm not fond of that look. Are there any other options?

Thanks!
-laura

Gingers Mommy
27th November 2007, 09:27 PM
Laura,
I have a coat or two ;) for Ginger.
The coats generally have holes on the back of them (above the shoulder bone) for where the leash would go through to a harness underneath the coats. I also dont like walking ginger on a collar alone. Maybe you can bring back what you bought and seek out one with a hole?

Gem
27th November 2007, 09:58 PM
Are you able to cut a small hole in the coat for the puppia loop to fit through?

Melissa
27th November 2007, 11:58 PM
I have a gooby harness, it's similar to the puppia's style. I had been putting it over the coat for maverick but now he's getting too big for that so I'm thinking of breaking out my sewing machine and putting a a hole in the back for the harness loop.

shippers
20th December 2007, 08:45 PM
Anyone had any luck finding a coat that can be worn with a harness underneath? It's getting really cold now and Sally still doesn't have a coat :( because none seem to have a hole in the back for the harness to thread through.

Karlin
20th December 2007, 11:28 PM
Someone had posted ones that have openings a while ago but don't remember where they were from. I just put harnesses on over the coats!

AT
20th December 2007, 11:31 PM
we have a pets at home sheepskin coat with an opening for the harness

arasara
21st December 2007, 05:35 AM
I have puppia coats.. they have a slit in the top on the back of them for the leash to attach to the harness... also I had a coat without the harness hole and I just took it to a local seamstress to have a "button hole" (I measured) put in the jacket.. I showed them where I wanted it and voila :)

Good luck! :xfngr:

Elude
21st December 2007, 04:32 PM
I do the same as Karlin, I just put her harness overtop of the coat. I won't walk her anywhere in a collar.

cb2u
22nd December 2007, 04:46 AM
I do the same as Karlin, I just put her harness overtop of the coat. I won't walk her anywhere in a collar.
Same here. I bought an extra harness one size up to use over her sweaters. Last year Sasha wore jackets w/ velcro fastenings underneath, but this year we are going w/ pullover sweaters because I think she hated the ripping sound of the velcro.

She seems to love the pullovers, and the harness over it works out great.

Lisa_T
7th January 2008, 05:45 AM
Isn't it funny how they love clothes sometimes? Holly couldn't care less, but Amber loves her little coats and jumpers. I had her red furry coat over the radiator in my bedroom during xmas week at my parents' and if I was in my room and Amber wanted out, she'd go and stand next to the coat and nose it. It was so cute. And when she sees jumpers she races over and tries to put her head through the hole... which is a tad inconvenient when the jumper in question is actually Holly's..

Back to the point though, I'd either find someone who can make a coat from scratch to your specs, do it yourself, or do as others have suggested and cut a hole in an existing coat. The harness-over-coat can look good if the colours match, btw.