View Full Version : Wyatt...not good news

28th November 2007, 02:07 AM
Hi all....

I've posted a couple of times about my new rescue Wyatt. Unfortunately, Wyatt is now in the critical care facility at Angell Memorial Hospital in Boston. We've only had him with us for 4 1/2 weeks and are very upset by this development. He had been having bathroom issues (mistakes, urgency, diarrhea) for a couple of weeks after having gotten off to a very good start during the first few weeks. We attributed this mostly to stress and took the usual measures..bland diet, careful watching of food, etc. We went through the bland diet routine twice. First time he seemed to come around and we switched back to his regular home cooked diet. Thanksgiving, he was segregated from our human guests, along with our other two dogs, to keep his anxiety level down. While he was upstairs he ate part of a blanket. Stomach got more upset but the blanket passed through him (or at least we thought it all had).

Was doing okay (not great, but okay) but in the last couple of days urgency and diarrhea were more of a problem. We decided to take in a stool sample today and did this early in the morning. But by 10 a.m. or so he had thrown up everything he had eaten this morning and was having bloody diarrhea. Threw up again, and then the diarrhea got really scary. Took him to our regular vet who said we should take him to Angell immediately.

They are going to keep him for treatment for two to four days. Various things being considered are: bowel obstruction (part of the blanket???), severe colitis, HGE, and pancretitis. Initially they were a little concerned with the possibility of Parvo but did a quick test to rule it out before they took him into the regular critical care facility. He's going to have fluids, possible transfusion (he lost a lost of blood), x-rays, ultrasound, blood tests, fecal tests and I'm not even sure what else.

I should get a call either late tonight or early tomorrow morning to give us an update on his status. Besides the medical complications this is surely going to be a set-back for him in his behavioral development. He had just learned to sit; was responding to the "come" command and started to let us pet him and scratch him under the neck. He had also started to let me do some grooming.

The vet marked his prognosis as "good" and we are surely hoping this is the case.

Will update more when I hear.


28th November 2007, 02:14 AM
Oh Margaret, I am so sorry. If the vet marked 'good' I am sure that will be the case, and you'll get the power of lots of positive thoughts coming from the board for him too. :flwr:

28th November 2007, 02:21 AM


28th November 2007, 02:49 AM
So sorry to hear this. When my yorkie was a pup I had to take him to Angel for serious surgery. He lived another 14 years! Great place.

28th November 2007, 03:04 AM
Margaret - I am so sorry to hear about Wyatt. Angell is a great place (we just spend the day there yesterday) and I'm sure they will quickly identify the problem so you can focus on ways to get him better. A "good" prognosis is a VERY good sign. The waiting is awful but as hard as it is just try to think positive!! My heart goes out to you - let us know what they find!!

28th November 2007, 03:15 AM
I am going to be adding Wyatt to my prayer list tonight....God bless him and all the other little Cavies we have here that are struggling right now. I'm so glad that the doctor feels that Wyatt's prognosis is good. :)

28th November 2007, 03:30 AM
Oh the poor wee mite! It is a relief that the vet says the outlook is positive, so :xfngr: fingers cross that this all gets resolved quickly & easily.

28th November 2007, 04:33 AM
Oh, so sorry to hear this about Wyatt. Glad to know that his outcome will be good. I think he will get back to his new training without much problem-he'll feel secure coming back to you.

28th November 2007, 05:52 AM
Awww, Good luck thinking of you

28th November 2007, 07:29 AM
Good luck Wyatt!

28th November 2007, 09:00 AM
Please keep us posted will be thinking of you!

28th November 2007, 09:02 AM
Good luck Wyatt!

28th November 2007, 09:47 AM
By the way, maybe it won't cause a setback in his training at all. He got sick, you took care of him, touch wood he gets better. You've just shown him that you can be trusted--that's a wonderful training moment.

28th November 2007, 10:07 AM
Goodluck with Wyatt, we're all thinking of him over here xox

Cathy Moon
28th November 2007, 11:56 AM
Get well soon Wyatt.:hug: Thinking of you.:xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw::paw:

28th November 2007, 02:00 PM
Thinking and praying for you here....Please give us an update when you can

28th November 2007, 04:08 PM
I hope Wyatt feels well soon.

28th November 2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks very, very much for all of your comments. This will be a quick note since I need to be off to work but I just spoke to the vet. Pancretitis ruled out; obstruction ruled out...most likely HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis). He was in shock by the time he was actually admitted to the hospital. I cringe at the thought of what might have happened had we not both decided to stay home from work yesterday. Decision was made because of a feeling that he was not getting better and might be a little worse. His condition went downhill very rapidly and in the five hours I would have been gone...well, I'll leave it at that.

We may be able to get him from the hospital tomorrow. HGE has no clear cause and is not infectious. It does have a 10 to 15% recurrence rate so we'll be watchful from now on. It also (from the sources that I could find) has a 10% fatality rate.

Anyway, thank you again for your thoughts and I'll let you know how things are when he comes home.


28th November 2007, 04:28 PM
:) good news. Please give him a little hug from everyone.

28th November 2007, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the update on Wyatt. Hope he is on the mend and do not have a recurrence. You and your family are wonderful to care for him.

As I am interested in health issues, I went on line to look for some additional information on HGE. There is lots of information out there but here is a link to what appears to be a good basic summary so you might know what to look for, etc.:


Of course, if you think you have a problem, the best approach is always to look to your Veterinarian.

Scouty girl
28th November 2007, 07:18 PM
The news sounds positive about little Wyatt. I hope everything keeps going in a positive direction. Give Wyatt a little hug from Scout.

Elaine 2
28th November 2007, 11:42 PM
Loads of get well soon vibes coming his way from us, I'm so pleased he's a bit better hope you'll soon have him home

Debby with a Y
29th November 2007, 12:23 AM
Thank goodness you are such an attentive dog owner and you got right on it...prayers to Wyatt to be on the mend quick!

Cleo's Person
29th November 2007, 10:17 AM
:xfngr: Wyatt imporves soon. Thinking of you all.

30th November 2007, 02:51 AM

Wyatt is home and seems to be feeling pretty good. We have a ton of meds to give him and his two front legs are shaved mid-leg down to just above his feet. Looks like he got a poodle cut on his two front legs. He's already peed twice in the house so we may have to start from the beginning on house-training. He did seem happy to see us which was great.

The bad news is that Sasha (our 1 1/2 year old ruby) is now sick. Looks like the same thing which is very curious since HGE is not contagious. He started to be sick late this morning and I got him in to the vet this afternoon where he had subcutaneous fluids and something to help his stomach (he was throwing up more than Wyatt did at the start). Diarrhea started late this afternoon and there is blood but nothing like what Wyatt had. Sigh. We'll watch him carefully over the night and may have to take him in to Angell tomorrow morning if the local vet thinks that the subcutaneous fluids are not making enough of a difference.

He hasn't thrown up anymore which is good since I guess that is a greater threat for dehydration than the diarrhea.

I'm hoping that this isn't something other than HGE and is actually contagious. Gadget is almost 10 years old and this would be really hard on him.

If this is not too coherent it's probably be cause I'm really, really tired.


30th November 2007, 03:01 AM
Margaret - I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through - one sick dog is bad enough!! Could they have both gotten into something they shouldn't have that they ate??

Cathy T
30th November 2007, 03:05 AM
Oh geesh Margaret!! Glad that Wyatt is home and doing so much better...but, boy, you don't need another sick one on your hands. Praying Sasha is okay!

30th November 2007, 03:51 AM
This all sounds awful. have my fingers crossed for all of you!

30th November 2007, 08:06 AM
Glad that Wyatt is better and sorry to hear about Sasha. :xfngr: for her and Gadget.

30th November 2007, 03:09 PM
So happy that Wyatt is home and recovering. Probably had to piddle in his confinement but think he will readjust quickly- a little bit confused on this, I bet. So sorry that Sasha is now ill-what ups and downs you're having. Prayers for your gang and for you to have a restful sleep.

Scouty girl
30th November 2007, 04:04 PM
I'm so happy to hear that Wyatt is doing better, but poor little Sasha, I'm hope everything goes well for her, I'm so sorry that you are going through this.

30th November 2007, 05:16 PM
I'm so sorry to read that Sasha is now sick! Glad Wyatt is home though. I suppose it is too late to separate Gadget from them so he doesn't get sick too? I will keep you & your crew in my prayers. Take care! :xfngr: in hopes that there is no more illness & Sasha improves very quickly.

Denise G.
30th November 2007, 10:07 PM
So glad that Wyatt is home and on the mend.

Hugs and prayers to you and Sasha. I hope she's better soon! :flwr:

30th November 2007, 10:31 PM

Hope this will be my last post on this subject. Wyatt is doing well and I think we got Sasha's illness stopped in time. Not to give you too much information, but for Sasha it has been no food for over 18 hours, subcutaneous fluids for the vomiting, some antacids for his stomach and then very tiny meals today of some special food.

I'm not big on the commercial foods (we've been doing home-cooked for almost a year) but in this case I'm going to defer to the vet's suggestion. I've put all three of them on Science HD diet for three to five days. Meals are to be small the first few days; then recommended size and then we transition back to their regular food.

Sasha is still punky (and stinky, I might add) but no more diarrhea or vomiting. We've got our fingers crossed.

And here's the funny part about all of this. When the technician at Angell went to bring Wyatt to us we gave her his collar and leash and explained that he was very skittish, hand-shy and did not know how walk on a leash. We told her she'd probably have to carry him. He came out of the treatment area walking on a leash!!! Clearly he had been hiding his skills from us. So today we did three short walks on a leash (by short I mean just around our block). He did okay. Didn't love it but didn't hurl himself all around like he did when I tried just after we got him.

So I hope this ends my saga of HGE.

Thanks again for your support.