• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Wyatt...not good news

toblerone

Hi all....

I've posted a couple of times about my new rescue Wyatt. Unfortunately, Wyatt is now in the critical care facility at Angell Memorial Hospital in Boston. We've only had him with us for 4 1/2 weeks and are very upset by this development. He had been having bathroom issues (mistakes, urgency, diarrhea) for a couple of weeks after having gotten off to a very good start during the first few weeks. We attributed this mostly to stress and took the usual measures..bland diet, careful watching of food, etc. We went through the bland diet routine twice. First time he seemed to come around and we switched back to his regular home cooked diet. Thanksgiving, he was segregated from our human guests, along with our other two dogs, to keep his anxiety level down. While he was upstairs he ate part of a blanket. Stomach got more upset but the blanket passed through him (or at least we thought it all had).

Was doing okay (not great, but okay) but in the last couple of days urgency and diarrhea were more of a problem. We decided to take in a stool sample today and did this early in the morning. But by 10 a.m. or so he had thrown up everything he had eaten this morning and was having bloody diarrhea. Threw up again, and then the diarrhea got really scary. Took him to our regular vet who said we should take him to Angell immediately.

They are going to keep him for treatment for two to four days. Various things being considered are: bowel obstruction (part of the blanket???), severe colitis, HGE, and pancretitis. Initially they were a little concerned with the possibility of Parvo but did a quick test to rule it out before they took him into the regular critical care facility. He's going to have fluids, possible transfusion (he lost a lost of blood), x-rays, ultrasound, blood tests, fecal tests and I'm not even sure what else.

I should get a call either late tonight or early tomorrow morning to give us an update on his status. Besides the medical complications this is surely going to be a set-back for him in his behavioral development. He had just learned to sit; was responding to the "come" command and started to let us pet him and scratch him under the neck. He had also started to let me do some grooming.

The vet marked his prognosis as "good" and we are surely hoping this is the case.

Will update more when I hear.

Margaret

Oh Margaret, I am so sorry. If the vet marked 'good' I am sure that will be the case, and you'll get the power of lots of positive thoughts coming from the board for him too. :flwr:

So sorry to hear this. When my yorkie was a pup I had to take him to Angel for serious surgery. He lived another 14 years! Great place.
Pam

Margaret - I am so sorry to hear about Wyatt. Angell is a great place (we just spend the day there yesterday) and I'm sure they will quickly identify the problem so you can focus on ways to get him better. A "good" prognosis is a VERY good sign. The waiting is awful but as hard as it is just try to think positive!! My heart goes out to you - let us know what they find!!

I am going to be adding Wyatt to my prayer list tonight....God bless him and all the other little Cavies we have here that are struggling right now. I'm so glad that the doctor feels that Wyatt's prognosis is good. :)

Oh the poor wee mite! It is a relief that the vet says the outlook is positive, so :xfngr: fingers cross that this all gets resolved quickly & easily.

Oh, so sorry to hear this about Wyatt. Glad to know that his outcome will be good. I think he will get back to his new training without much problem-he'll feel secure coming back to you.

By the way, maybe it won't cause a setback in his training at all. He got sick, you took care of him, touch wood he gets better. You've just shown him that you can be trusted--that's a wonderful training moment.

Wyatt update--looking much better

Thanks very, very much for all of your comments. This will be a quick note since I need to be off to work but I just spoke to the vet. Pancretitis ruled out; obstruction ruled out...most likely HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis). He was in shock by the time he was actually admitted to the hospital. I cringe at the thought of what might have happened had we not both decided to stay home from work yesterday. Decision was made because of a feeling that he was not getting better and might be a little worse. His condition went downhill very rapidly and in the five hours I would have been gone...well, I'll leave it at that.

We may be able to get him from the hospital tomorrow. HGE has no clear cause and is not infectious. It does have a 10 to 15% recurrence rate so we'll be watchful from now on. It also (from the sources that I could find) has a 10% fatality rate.

Anyway, thank you again for your thoughts and I'll let you know how things are when he comes home.

Margaret

Margaret:

Thanks for the update on Wyatt. Hope he is on the mend and do not have a recurrence. You and your family are wonderful to care for him.

As I am interested in health issues, I went on line to look for some additional information on HGE. There is lots of information out there but here is a link to what appears to be a good basic summary so you might know what to look for, etc.:

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogdiseasesh/a/HGEindogs.htm

Of course, if you think you have a problem, the best approach is always to look to your Veterinarian.

Back