PDA

View Full Version : Which food - Advice please

estelle
1st December 2007, 08:51 AM
Hi everyone,

Bailey's finally on the mend thank god! but I would like to change his food (gradually of course) as i've heard/read that Iams is not that good. I know there's been lots of discussions about food and which one's are good and not so good, it feels like a bit of a minefield as to know which one to choose, so i've narrowed it down to 2 that I can get readilly these are

Royal Canin
James Wellbeloved

Which one would you choose and why? and of course if anyone wants to recommend any others please feel free and I will check if they're available in my area.

BTW he's on dried/kibble

Many thanks

Matte
1st December 2007, 09:26 AM
Mine's on Royal Canin mini junior (she's 6 months old) and loves it.

*Pauline*
1st December 2007, 09:32 AM
Both are made by the same company. I give JWB as it is grain free (I think!), no time to check, I'm running late!!

estelle
1st December 2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks guys, think i'll get a small bag of each and see which he prefers!!

*Pauline*
1st December 2007, 09:48 AM
Royal Canin looks and smalls nicer. It looks shiny like there's oil in it. Only reason I don't use it is that Dylan had a ear infection after I changed to RC and the vet said it could be food allergy related. It probably isn't but I'm playing safe.

Bruce H
1st December 2007, 10:39 AM
We feed Royal Canin Mini and have for quite a few years. It's one of the recommended foods on The Whole Dog Journal's annual list and our dogs do well on it. I believe James Wellbeloved is also one of the top rated foods, so I don't think you can go wrong with either.

One of our older girls seems to have developed an alergy of some type a while back, so she is on a special grain free food. I don't recall the name right now, but after the dogs get up (it's real early am here), I'll find out what it is and let you know.

estelle
1st December 2007, 10:41 AM
Which one/flavour would you rec? I was told that RC don't do a puppy one??

Ideally i'd like to get one that Charlie could have too as I want to get him off his Pedigree wet!!! He prefers anything with chicken as opposed to beef

I've read that many peeps don't give specific puppy food to pups, but i'm concerned that the kibble would be too big for Bailey (pup)?? Isn't adult food too rich for pups?

Dilemma's Dilemma's!!!

AT
1st December 2007, 11:06 AM
My dogs prefered the turkey JW by far

Bruce H
1st December 2007, 11:27 AM
Feeding puppy food is something that has been gradually changing over the past few years. We used to feed puppy food up til about 6 months, but the last few litters were started on adult food at about 2-1/2 months; when they were completely weaned and had little or no interest in Mom. We feed the Special 30 in the RC Mini.

shippers
1st December 2007, 11:29 AM
I feed James Welbeloved mixed with a bit of Naturediet to Sally. She loves it and she was a very fussy pup. I notice you're from the UK - both these foods can be bought in Pets at Home. Sally likes any flavour but I try to rotate which flavours I buy. I find her coat is particularly good on the fish and rice flavour. We're just in the process of moving Sally onto adult food at 10months old. She has been spayed and tends to put weight on easily so I was hoping adult food might decrease any weight gain as well as controlling the amount I give her and exercise.

*Pauline*
1st December 2007, 11:34 AM
JWB fish flavour is really smelly!

Matte
1st December 2007, 12:19 PM
I was told that RC don't do a puppy one??

They do. It's called Junior (Mini Junior for small breeds).

Harvey's Mum
1st December 2007, 01:51 PM
My 2 are on Royal Canin and LOVE IT.

Anna (Mum of Harvey & Rudi)

Karlin
1st December 2007, 02:34 PM
Burns is also an excellent food widely available in the UK.

James Wellbeloved is wheat but not not grain free. RC also has grains. Grains are not an issue for 99% of dogs however. I have yet to have had a single dog ever have problems with grains. More dogs are allergic to chicken and egg than grain, yet both these ingredients are often top of the list of those feeding so-called natural diets. And if you read some of the very respected sites for holistic foods, many include grains in their diets! But 'grain free' seems to have become one of those internet mailing list and board obsessions -- I have never read any study anywhere that says grains are a problem (to me this is like not allwoing children to ever go near a peanut simply because a tiny number have problems with this allergy). As an aside I always find it odd that people who are really big on feeding grain free foods will sometimes talk about giving various treats and dog biscuits... that have grains in them...! My cats also do extremely well on Royal Canin (all four were rescues and three were in very bad shape when I got them) -- the 8 years olds have never been sick since, nor the two 4 years olds and have lovely healthy coats, and this on RC with grain in it... :cool:

As for the two foods you are asking about: my dogs have all done really well on either RC or JW. There are loads of foods of good quality though available widely in the UK. I recommend these two for Irish cavalier owners because we get very few quality foods -- they are hard to track down thru small districutors or online, while those two can be bought at most good petshops or thru Dog Training Ireland or other online shops.

The brother of the guy who does Burns has just launched a really good food too.

I like to rotate foods around; I also feed a lot of homecooked stews, fresh fruit and veg, etc.

jld
1st December 2007, 10:33 PM
Dixie eats the special 30 in the RC mini too. It is one of the very few dry foods she seems to like........Judy and Dixie

hilary
2nd December 2007, 12:23 PM
I tried so many dried foods with Lucy but to no avail . She showed an obvious dislike towards all of them . In desperation I rang the vet and he advised me to persist with the dried food for the sake of her future health etc . He recommended HILLS , the chicken flavoured one and believe it or not she just loves it . She is full of energy and her coat is gleaming . Maybe this might work for your dog too . Best of luck .......Hilary