PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Star multiple rescues

frecklesmom
1st December 2007, 08:16 PM
Couldn't do a cross post,didn't see an OK to do it. On another Cav site, Toni of Lucky Star has a letter to a member stating a huge influx of rescued Cavaliers possible and Lucky Star requesting many transportation people and,again, needing fosters. The geographical areas seem widespread with the possible rescues.

Karlin
1st December 2007, 11:22 PM
We have one or two of the Lucky Star folks with memberships here so I am sure it is OK to post information. :)

Anyone able to help, please email the folks at Lucky Star, a cavalier rescue in the US that rescues puppy farm dogs primarily. Their website and contact information is at: http://www.luckystarcavalierrescue.org/

Karlin
2nd December 2007, 01:51 AM
Please check out the letter with rescue specifics from Lucky Star in the Dog and Bone Pub. :)

Karen S.
6th December 2007, 08:36 PM
Lucky Star Rescue is in need of volunteers and fosters. I will be fostering a 4 year old blenheim male starting Dec. 15th. Anyone who can help please contact Lucky Star.

Daisy's Mom
9th December 2007, 06:18 PM
I just fostered two black and tans for Lucky Star and passed them onto a Lucky Star person who will keep them at least until the girl's pups are born and old enough for homes. It was great meeting and/or talking to those wonderful people. I hope to be involved more in the future, at least in helping with transport if not fostering.

It felt great to get those two little sweeties out of the backyard breeding operation they had landed in. They were definitely starved for human love and attention. (And baths, dental work, flea medicine, grooming, housetraining, etc. -- poor little doggies!) But now they will have no more cold winters & hot summers spent outside, no more hard food that their poor decayed teeth couldn't chew, no more suffering for lack of love! Yeahh!

Karlin
9th December 2007, 06:45 PM
Great job!

A reminder at this gift giving time of year that if you order the great dog stuff at www.helpingudders.com you can designate a portion of your purchase price to go to Lucky Star. :thmbsup:

sramirez
10th December 2007, 08:25 PM
We're helping foster in Nebraska - just waiting for our Iowa/Missouri fur babies to get here!

Sheri
Nebraska

Holly
11th December 2007, 02:01 AM
And, I am sure that I saw that if you buy a Wallybed using the link on the LS site they make a donation to LS, but I cant find it right now...anyone know anything about that??

Daisy's Mom
11th December 2007, 02:38 AM
I'm sure a lot of people already know about this, but one completely painless way to give to Lucky Star is to sign up at Igive.com (there is a link to it from the LS website). Whenever you buy something from any of the many, many participating vendors, a set percentage (anywhere from 1-10% of your purchase) goes to Lucky Star in the form of a check sent each month.

You can even sign up for a little program with Igive for them to automatically route you through them whenever you happen to go to a participating vendor website. That way, you don't even have to remember to go through Igive when you buy something online. It's automatic! Big vendors like Dog.com, Amazon (I think), Drugstore.com, etc. participate, so it's very likely if you do any shopping online, you will end up at a participating vendor sooner or later.

jeni
11th December 2007, 03:25 AM
I am fostering for the first time for lucky star, I get my 2 boys on Dec 21st I am SO EXCITED! I will be looking for good advise on here from other foster mommies :o)

WoodHaven
11th December 2007, 03:47 AM
The one big thing imo is to start slow-- let them come to you. Don't expect too much too soon. I always treat a rescue like it is a puppy (no quick movements, don't expect good house manners etc...). Some seem to pick up on daily life very fast, others seem more reserved or skiddish longer.
Having other cavaliers seems to help A LOT. AND thank you for volunteering.

jeni
11th December 2007, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the advise... I hope that I do well. I am excited to get the boys. I am sure that my two boys will love the playmates and will help me with socializing these new guys...

ppotterfield
13th December 2007, 10:24 PM
Yes, thank you and all the others who volunteer to foster or to transport or to help in other ways. It is so sad that we have this need but so reassuring when there are folks who will help.

CavyMom
16th December 2007, 02:42 AM
Where is Luckystar located? I'm in Utah, and would be more then happy to help foster if there's a need in this area!!

molly
16th December 2007, 03:33 AM
Lucky Star is a national organization. If you can help, please fill out an application here: http://www.luckystarcavalierrescue.org/page.php?name=Volunteer

Also, at this time of year, there are a high number of dogs coming into LS rescue. Please try and give a direct donation to help with the care of these sweet dogs. Thanks!
http://www.luckystarcavalierrescue.org/page.php?name=Donations

KimNIndy
16th December 2007, 11:07 PM
Holly--the Wallybed info is at the bottom of the page:
http://www.luckystarcavalierrescue.org/

I've just submitted an application to foster---we've been talking about it for a long time and hubby is finally ready :p

:xfngr::xfngr::xfngr: we'll hear something from them soon!

CavyMom
17th December 2007, 04:38 AM
Thank you for the info, I'll submit a foster application and make a small donation to them :)

KimNIndy
21st December 2007, 12:40 AM
so i've been checking my e-mail obsessively since applying to foster and it has just occured to me that if they wait to contact me until there is a pending foster than it could be months...

what have our other applicants/fosters experiences been like? did you get news quickly after submitting an application or did it take a while?

Cathy T
21st December 2007, 12:48 AM
Holly - that's how I just purchased my wally bed...I mean, the dogs' wally bed ;) I had a heck of a time justifying the money but then decided "why not, plus $30 will go to Lucky Star.

Karlin
21st December 2007, 01:12 AM
They may reply or it may not be til they have a dog in your area. They can't easily transport dogs long distances (it is all volunteers) so it really depends on where dogs come into rescue. The bulk come in in the midwest near puppy farming states. There's a letter posted in the Dog and Bone from Lucky Star explaining the regions in which they urgently needed fosters. I moved it there (which is a private forum) as it had details of some rescue operations and generally those are better not posted publicly where they can be googled.

Karlin
21st December 2007, 03:34 PM
Here's contact info:

Dear Lucky Star Family,

Lucky Star will miss the Board members who have recently tendered their resignations. We are forever indebted to them for their foresight, dedication, commitment and loyalty to this organization. Our pledge is to continue to build on the foundation they laid for us, being ever mindful that it is you – the supporters of Lucky Star – who ensure the success of our mission.

To that end, Lucky Star is desperately needing fosters and transporters all across the Country. Please complete the online foster application or send an email to info@luckystarcavalierrescue.org and let us know how you can help! Volunteers are the lifeblood of this organization and we need you!!

We are anticipating the arrival of many Cavaliers into rescue before year’s end. Currently, there are 8 Cavaliers with our volunteers in Missouri, 5 of these will be transported to foster care on the weekend of Dec. 15. We still need foster homes for the remaining 3.

A breeder in TN will be releasing 4-8 of her Cavaliers this weekend. We need to have foster homes lined up and transport arranged as quickly as possible.

Lucky Star is currently negotiating with a breeder in Alabama for the release of all his Cavaliers. We anticipate this will occur within the next few weeks and volunteer help is desperately needed.

Several auctions are scheduled in the month of December, and Lucky Star intends to be in place to pull the older Cavaliers – again, help is needed!! Whatever your talent, whatever your expertise, Lucky Star is ready to put you to work for our beloved Cavaliers!

It's going be a wonderful Christmas for many deserving Cavaliers!

May all the joys of the holiday season be yours!

Thank you so much for caring!!

Toni Webb, President/Rescue Chair, Lucky Star Cavalier Rescue

jeni
21st December 2007, 03:58 PM
I had some trouble getting a hold of them so I ended up e-mailing them directly. Come to find out their online foster applicatioin isn't working properly.
As soon as I got a hold of someone there... it was in the works!!!
I get my first 2 foster boys in the morning... I am so excited that I can't hardly wait!

Karlin- Are we allowed to post pictures of our foster dogs??? and possibly ask for advise?
Many Thanks-

Happy Holidays...

Cathy T
21st December 2007, 04:47 PM
What super news!!! Good for you......fostering can be difficult but so incredibly rewarding. I still have contact with most of the dogs I've fostered and love hearing their happy-ever-after stories.

Karlin can correct me....but I don't think there's any problem with posting photos of your fosters and there's definitely not a problem asking for advice. This board has give me some excellent advice in dealing my previous fosters.

Karlin
21st December 2007, 04:49 PM
Sure, we'd love to see fosters and of course people can ask for advice. :)

jeni
21st December 2007, 04:55 PM
Great! I look forward to meeting these fine boys. The person that is transporting them from Missouri to here tomorrow had collected these boys yesterday and he said that they are beautiful and very outgoing.
I will post picutres as soon as I possibly can. I will be needing the advise because this is my first time to foster. I have many questions...