• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Um, how to tell if ...

Lexie in CA

I was just wondering how to tell if my little Lexie goes pee. She squats, but I'm never sure if she actually goes. So besides getting down on the ground to see if something comes out, how would I tell? :p Just wondering if there was an easy way. :?

tip them up & see if they are wet ,lol
When I was training my last puppy she knew she was not allowed back in the house until she had pee'd so she would just kneel down & pretend then come in. So I started checking her to make sure she really had been

Oh my gosh! I find this so funny because I have ALWAYS wondered the same thing! I used to think, maybe she just squats because she knows she'll get a treat afterwards! There was never any "evidence" that anything actually came out. I finally decided she must be peeing because otherwise she'd be pretty sick!

But now that it's winter time, I finally have the satisfaction of knowing she is actually peeing. LOL I can see it on the snow!!! (y)

I'm sorry to say that since you're in CA, this doesn't help you any. :( If you're really curious, maybe you could slide a piece of cardboard under her when she squats!?

But thanks for asking a question I have wondered about for the past 7 months... until this week. :)

-laura

Hmm... good question... Instead of getting down on the ground to check maybe hold the puppy up to see if that spot is wet or not??

I used to wonder this too with my Yorkie. I used to dab her with toilet paper and if I saw a drop of wee on that I'd know she'd been. :rolleyes:

:D:D
tip them up & see if they are wet ,lol

Shelby used to pull the same thing. She knew she wouldn't get a treat if she didn't pee so she'd squat like she was and then coming running over for her treat. It got so I would touch her down there and if she wasn't wet.....we stayed outside. Um....yes, I would wash my hands when we came back inside :p

Piper does this and i think its for a treat. the first time she squats she goes, after that she sqauts two or three more times and runs over to me for her treat. Now that there is snow on the ground, she can't trick me! (i knew it was good for something)

Both of my Cavaliers have what I would call... a "pee indicator." It sounds funny, but it is basically just long hair on their privates that, when they pee gets wet and has a yellow tinge to it. I just pick up the puppy if I think he or she is faking and look at it.

But perhaps yours didn't come with one... in that case, I'm not sure what you can do.

Thanks everybody for responding. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wondered about this. :D And my Lexie has the "pee indicator" so that's what I've been looking at lately. It's so funny.

And my Lexie definitely tries to trick us too. She goes once, and then gets a treat so she squats and looks at me. So cute. :luv:

I agree with AT tip them up and see , we used to do this with Lucy when we were toilet training her it was easy to tell if she had been as she has longer hair covering her privates and they were a little bit wet if she had been!!!!

lisa

Back