• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Christmas advice for cavalier owners.

sins

Never,EVER... leave a cavalier alone with your freshly wrapped Christmas gifts in the same room.:bang::bang::bang::swear::swear::mad:
I've just returned from shopping to absolute carnage.How stupid was I?
I think I need to lie down...
This is my first Christmas with a cavalier, can anyone tell me what precautions should I take to avoid having her electrocuted by the Christmas tree?
Sins

I am so sorry to hear that, you must be furious!!!

Did you by any chance take pictures of this horrible event? You should send them to Santa to add your dog to his naughty list --- :snap:

and... share them with us too so we can have a few good laughs :)

I think I'd keep a dog confined to other rooms and not where there are gifts or the tree -- ribbon and wrap can be fatal if ingested and some gifts, like chocolate, could be fatal as well. The tree should be fully unplugged unless someone is there and the dog always watched if it turns out they have an interest in chewing cords or lights.

I never give my dogs the run of the house when I am out -- they are put in one room with their beds and toys and water and then I know they are safe. :)

I would NEVER leave Dixie alone. I can't believe what she can get into when I turn my back for 5 minutes. It is just like having a baby again....Judy and Dixie She too is put safely in the kitchen with her bed and toys ( and even a little music for company)

:lol: I'm laughing because I don't even need to leave the room for this to happen! I put my tree up last night and the girls had a ball chewing on all the boxes. Last year they got into a pile of presents and made a bit of a mess too (Honey helped on that rampage :luv:). They get closed off in the kitchen when I'm gone (or if I leave the room for 10 seconds or more!)

I'm not furious at all.I was more annoyed at myself for racing out the door and not tidying away the gifts.I just put her in her basket in the kitchen and left.
Unfortunately she's so cute that no matter what she does she gets away with! Happily the damage was superficial and it was tags and bows that she was after,she wrecked the wrapping, but the gifts were intact apart from one chewed box.
It looks like she can't be left unsupervised in any room over the festive season.I guess I'll have to puppyproof the Christmas tree, I'll try to be creative, maybe fence it off somehow.
Anyone know what decorations, eg fake snow... Holly etc.. are toxic to dogs?
Sins

Is there any way you could put the tree up on a table?

Could you put an x-pen around it? Or put baby gates on the doors to that room?

I think that anything is a potential choking hazard. And if any of the ornaments are breakable, there is a cutting hazard as well.

We are skipping decorations at my house this year (but I live alone so it's no big sacrifice!) and we just walk around and enjoy the neighbors' decorations.

I've learned that you can't leave puppies unsupervised for a second! I puppy proofed my home as best I could, but you know what, they always find something...

Good luck and I am glad that all she did was a little damage to packaging and no damage to herself.

Back