• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Post decompression surgery question

Cathy Moon

I've noticed that Charlie seems to be able to 'shake off' pain episodes before they become full blown episodes, since having decompression surgery. Has anyone else, whose cavaliers were experiencing pain episodes and subsequently had surgery, noted anything similar in their cavaliers?

Another thing I've noticed is that giving Charlie a small treat such as a piece of kibble seems to also avert pain episodes from happening.

He is averaging one pain episode per day, usually in the morning or at night, which is down from last week.

Cathy:

Cannot answer your questions, but am so glad the pain episodes are down and that Charlie seems to be doing so well.(y)

Hope he can have some further improvement with physical therapy.:xfngr:

Cathy, I'm sorry I hadn't heard of them being able to shake off the pain episodes - but so pelased for Charlie that he can, and that you are seeing a reduction.

One thought is that he may be getting much milder pain sensations and he starts by habit to react as he would have in the past then literally shakes it off -- one of the calming signals dogs do -- and it never gets into a full blown pain session.

I am so happy to hear he is doing better -- the pain sessions are just the worst.

One thought is that he may be getting much milder pain sensations and he starts by habit to react as he would have in the past then literally shakes it off -- one of the calming signals dogs do -- and it never gets into a full blown pain session.

I am so happy to hear he is doing better -- the pain sessions are just the worst.
That sounds like a really good explanation of what is happening.

Cathy,
I've been following Charlie's blog with great interest and such joy at his progress. I can't begin to tell you how much I admire you and your family for taking on Charlie and giving him the physical and emotional care that he would probably never have gotten.

You asked about Molly on another thread. She is doing just great. It has been almost 10 months since her surgery. If you recall her symptoms were not as severe as Charlie's were. She still takes gabapentin and she will always be sensitive around her neck and want to scratch if anything touches the left side of it. Even though I knew that would probably never go away, I have to admit, I was hoping that it would. The scratching seemed to increase over the summer but it's difficult to say why because her progression happened rapidly the first of the year in the middle of winter, and she had her surgery very quickly, so whether it was due to the hot humid summer affecting the syrinx that was already there or an increase in the syrinx I don't know.

We're just happy to still have her with us and so far no additional symptoms or signs of progression that we are aware of.

We're wishing you all the best here in neighboring Pennsylvania :xfngr:

I haven't been on for awhile but I've been following Charlie's blog and story. It hits very close to home for me because Friday is so severely affected with SM. She had decompression surgery close to 2 years ago now. She also had PSOM and had several surgeries for that. She's about to have her 4th Birthday which makes us so happy because every birthday is very, very precious to us! I didn't think we'd make it this far.

She improved after surgery but because she wasn't diagnosed quickly enough she is has 1 to 3 pain episodes per day. Sometimes none though. She has stabilized and hasn't gotten any worse. She's on meds at a high dose.

I can tell when she's going to have a pain episode because she starts swallowing over and over. Sometimes I can distract her at this point and it will subside. Treats help with the distraction. I haven't really noticed the "shaking it off" which you described. Sometimes having to go potty will set off a pain episode so I'll get her outside and going potty helps it to subside and distracts her too.

Sending lots of hugs your way Cathy. I know the difficulties you face daily. You're an amazing person!

Oh Terri, your little Friday's symptoms sound so similar to Charlie's, except he lifts his hind leg forward and up as a pain episode is coming on rather than the swallowing. And I can distract him with a treat or get him to relax out of it if he's in my arms. I know what you're going through, too. :hug::flwr:

Back