• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dogs and Christmas trees

JeanKC

Does anybody have a slick way of keeping the dogs out of the water in the Christmas tree stand? Not so much concerned about them drinking the water as I am all the needles that fall down in it. We have a skirt around it, but they just think that's something to play with and lay on. :neutral:

I don't have a tree skirt down cause my cat will pee on it (YUCK!) but I do have a flannel sheet wrapped tightly around the stand of the tree. I'm not sure if they would play with that at your house.

Flannel is Elvis' favorite. :eek:

Two people have now mentioned the foil... and that sounds like a winner. Thanks...

One year we had a tree up on a table, and we've also put the tree in a corner and blocked access to it with a 24 inch x-pen. :lol: Not exactly the most attractive ways to display a Christmas tree!

I built a wood box in two halves that sits over the stand and is clipped together. The box is then covered with a skirt. We do, however, have to keep an eye on the dogs because a couple times they have decided to chew on the box :bang:. Maybe I'll design another one made out of high strength structural steel!

Oh, should also note that we have to keep ornaments high enough to be out of the dog's reach.

Tree ideas and antics are always funny! Our first year with our lab, we had only decorations, half way down the tree! Riley decided to really learn her drop it command, when she had a glass ornament in her mouth. Bam, right on the kitchen tile. Remember, when you use the drop it command, see if you can give it on carpet!!:bang:

Last year with Libby, we didn't decorate with any tinsel. This year we have braved it! She is very interested in it, but so far has listened to our commands.

We do not have a real tree this year, because we will be out of town, so no water issues!!!

Regarding ornaments, both Target and Kmart have plastic ornaments that look like glass. Great for around puppies!

We have an artificial tree, the cats normally climb it but they haven't this year. Barney has pulled the tinsel off once but is pretty good around it.

Foil is a good idea round the tree but be careful our Barney loves chewing foil.
Good luck with what you decide to use.:D

We have a coffee table with a removable glass top..so we removed the glass and stored it then put the christmas tree inside the coffee table. This keeps the dogs completly away from the tree and wires and ornaments.

Back