• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Request/Reminder

Bruce H

Just wanted to jump in for a minute with a request /reminder on behalf of we breeders. I know I've requested this before, but I just wanted to jog everyone's memory now that we are approaching the holidays and the end of the year.

The goal of breeding should be improvement of the breed. And I feel there is no more important definition of "improvement" than health improvement and correct temperament. Yes, it's nice to have a beautiful dog that conforms to the breed standard and (in the case of those showing their dog) does well in the conformation ring. But all of that is worthless if the dog develops a problem that prematurely shortens its life. So we breeders have to look at how the puppies we have bred are doing from the standpoint of health so we can see if the dogs we are breeding are producing healthy, long lived lines. If they aren't, we need to adjust our breeding program.

So here's my request/reminder:

Without feedback from the people we have sold puppies to, we can't possibly know if our breeding program is a good one or needs adjustment. Our puppy contract requires that our puppy buyers contact us at least once a year with a photo and a short note about how their puppy is doing, both the good and bad. All the good breeders I know WANT to hear from their puppy people.

Breeders put their heart and soul into the puppies the first 10 to 12 weeks of their life and get attached to the little guys like you wouldn't believe. So they REALLY look forward to hearing about the little guys, just like grandparents look forward to hearing about the grandchildren! So please send a picture to and a note to your breeder letting them know how your dog is doing. I know they will appreciate it.

Happy holidays to everyone!

I send my breeder a picture update every over month so far. When I would help rehome our barn kittens when I lived at home it was always exciting when people sent us Christmas cards with pictures of the cat all grown.

I love sending an update to my breeder. It lets me brag about all the fun stuff I have been doing with my dog and I know they appreciate it. I also can't imagine being a breeder and never hearing from your puppies again.

We have always sent our breeders updates at christmas.

The old dear in Malton, loved getting a photo of our Tarmac.(and we still send her an xmas card, though Tarmac has now gone)

Guinness's came from a casual breeder- but also got photo updates with a quick rundown on his health.

This year, along with their christmas cards, we have sent update letters, and also a photo compilation DVD with music. Custom made for each of our 3 breeders, with photos focused on the dog from their kennels.
We really enjoyed making them, didn't cost us much, and know they will love them.

Thanks for that wonderful reminder, Bruce. I was sending an email with photos to India and Geordie's breeder every year on their birthdays, but I somehow missed doing that this summer. I think I'll send a Christmas email from now on!

Chocolate's breeder gets to see Chocolate regularly for grooming, which is a special visit for both of them several times a year.:luv:

Request / Reminder

Could I mention an unfortunate experience I had here in Britain with a Cavalier Breeder .

Our cherished Becky B/T developed Epilepsy ,we were advised by a Geneticist ,to advise the Breeder of her condition .

I did this ,all I got screamed through the phone ,was Bull- Manure ,but it wasnt the word manure she used .

I know there many nice Cavalier Breeders around ,but there are sure some that leave a lot to be desired from.

Bet

Could I mention an unfortunate experience I had here in Britain with a Cavalier Breeder .

Our cherished Becky B/T developed Epilepsy ,we were advised by a Geneticist ,to advise the Breeder of her condition .

I did this ,all I got screamed through the phone ,was Bull- Manure ,but it wasnt the word manure she used .

I know there many nice Cavalier Breeders around ,but there are sure some that leave a lot to be desired from.

How upsetting that a breeder would react that way. That defensive attitude is a good indicator of a bad breeder! Thankfully we can privately warn prospective puppy buyers away from breeders like this.

I agree with Cathy. That's a sign of a not-so-good breeder (and maybe a not-so-good human being) and very unfortunate (to but it mildly).

That's a shame Bet! I've had issues with both of mine and my breeder has been nothing short of outstanding. We have maintained a wonderful relationship....looking forward to going and visiting her newest litter in a few weeks.

We also send her a Christmas card every year with our Christmas picture of the pups.....so she can see how we torture them!!;)

You all could just do what I do~ Spend Christmas day with your breeder covered in Cavaliers! The best day of the year for me spending time with her family and the Dogs.... * smile*

Back