• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Metronidizol/Flagyl

Hello all! This is my very first time posting on cavaliertalk.com as for some reason I was never able to post before, so I am a confessed lurker!

I have a question that I was wondering if some breeders could help me answer. This past March I brought home a tri male, Charlie, who was 5 months at the time from a reputable breeder in Pennsylvania (I live in Baltimore.) Just this past Saturday, I brought home a ruby male, Louie, who is a year and a half.

A week before we brought home Louie, Charlie had a diarrhea for about a week, and my vet prescribed Flagyl and Ammoxicilin. He seemed to be doing better on it, and his bowl movements, while not as frequent, maybe once a day instead of twice, seemed firmer. Not 100% where I'd like them to be, but not liquid. When we brought home Louie, my breeder gave me some Flagyl to give him, to prevent diarrhea as switching environments can be stressful, thus causing diarrhea. I spoke with my vet who seemed to think giving Flagyl without being sick seemed odd. My question to the breeders is, Is this something that other breeders do as well? I can understand from the perpspective of my breeder as to why they would want to give a preventative medicine, but also understand my vet's concern- why give a dog medicine when they aren't ill?

I am going out of my mind with worry- my poor boys are constantly going to the potty and it's not pretty. They seem completely normal, appetites are great, energy is great. We are taking them to the vet tomorrow, but I just wanted to know about breeders giving Flagyl when placing their dogs in new homes. Any advice/opinions would be much appreciated!

Can't answer for you, but Flagyl does have antidiarrheal properties aside from its antimicrobial ones. Cavaliers sure have sensitive tummies. Good luck with your two!

Can't answer for you, but Flagyl does have antidiarrheal properties aside from its antimicrobial ones. Cavaliers sure have sensitive tummies. Good luck with your two!

Exactly, here what one website says about Metronidazole-
Metronidazole is an antibiotic which is commonly used to treat protozoal infections and anaerobic bacterial infections. It also has anti-inflammatory effects in the bowel.

It is a serious antibiotic that I wouldn't use without good reason. I have a supply at home because my dogs always seem to get ill right after the vet is closed and I don't like emergency vets much. In other words, the breeder probably thought if needed- it was best that you had it. Most of the time the change of home loose stool can be treated better with a rice, drained ground beef and sweet potato meal for a couple of days. So no, I wouldn't send an antibiotic home to be taken without need. jmo

The only time I would ask a vet to give me an antibiotic without an infection is BEFORE AND AFTER a dental. I always treat cavaliers AS IF they had murmurs (even when they don't).

Back