• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bit of new puppy advice please

alirowe

This is my first question here and also my first puppy, so please be patient with me!

Well, we picked Dylan up from his breeder's this morning and he slept in his crate all the way home (30 mins)! He ate his lunch and has had a good sniff around the living room and has even done a wee outside. He really is so lovely and adorable.

Thing is, I've read Ian Dunbar's book on training your puppy and I really agree with his methods. When I put Dylan in his pen or crate at home with me in the room he barks and barks. I've tried playing with him in there, putting his kong toy filled with treats inside the crate (he's not bothered with it) and ignoring him then rewarding him when he stops, but is this the right thing to be doing at his 11 weeks of age straight away coming to this new home?

I guess I'm just asking for some reassurance here. Should i just ignore him when he barks in his pen/crate? For how long? How will I get him to not be too afraid to sleep in there tonight?

Thanks for any advice,

Ali

If I know my dog has gone pee,poop and not starving I will let them cry. They will get used to the crate in time and learn it is a quiet place. Yes, give him toys and maybe a blankie but when you check on him every minute he will learn his cries will get him out.

I don't have a lot of experience with crates but my understanding is that iniially they should only spend a few minutes at a time in there to get used to it. How long are you leaving him in for?
Congrats on getting him. It is an adjustment for sure!! But a very rewarding one.:dogwlk:

Thanks for your reassurance. I let him run around a bit more, pee a bit more and then play a bit more, then I think he'd had enough of me and took himself off into his crate. Think I need to read the signs a bit better, which I hope will come with time and experience :)

Thanks, Ali

Thanks for your reassurance. I let him run around a bit more, pee a bit more and then play a bit more, then I think he'd had enough of me and took himself off into his crate. Think I need to read the signs a bit better, which I hope will come with time and experience :)

Thanks, Ali

If he is taking himself off to his crate on his own, you are making very good progress. The hardest thing is to watch and watch and watch when they are this young so you pick up the signals. It will come and it will be worth it.

When we start crate training a puppy, we may only leave them in there for a couple of minutes to start with. If possible begin & end on a high note. So, you could put Dylan in there with a treat for just a few minutes. It is important to let him out when he is not barking, so he doesn't get to associate attention with barking. This is why you start with only a short time in the crate.... so you get to let him out before he barkes. Then gently increase the time he spends in there. If he does start to bark, ignore him & wait until there is a break in his barking, then let him out. The idea is to build up his trust in you that he won't be in there for too long, and that by being a nice quiet boy, he will soon be let out.

Make it fun if you can. :)

Oh almost forgot. Yes, sneak his door closed if he goes in there for a nap. But keep an eye on him and as soon as he wakes up, greet him & tell him what a wonderful little boy he is and then let him out for his pee & a play. Again, this builds his confidence in you.

From your post it does sound like you are really on the right track.

Last edited:
What a great bunch you are. Thanks so much from this novice puppy lover.

You won't believe it, but he slept all night in his crate with only the smallest cry to begin with. I slept worse than him!!!

Thats great news. Things do get easier. Never be afraid no matter how small or silly u think it might be to ask. We were all in the same boat. And from time to time things crop up that we need help with.

Don't mean to highjack the thread. If I am feeding the puppy (coming in three weeks!!) in the crate, should I put the water bowl in the crate when he eats and remove it when he is done eating/drinking? Or should I let him have the water outside the crate?

Thanks!

Back