PDA

View Full Version : Tapeworms in Adult Dog??

Holly
11th December 2007, 09:26 PM
When Oliver pooped today, I noticed a tapeworm---(I have seen them before, so I know this is what it is...yuck!!). He had been scooting a bit, but this isn't unusual for him as I have to have his glands done every few months.

I know they are usually caused by fleas, but I havent noticed any fleas on Oliver and my other Cav Rosalita, and I keep up with their flea and heartworm preventative. What else would cause tapeowrms?? Or, maybe I need to treat for fleas just in case, even though I havent seen any??

Also, will my other dog Rosalita need to be treated fo rtapeworms, too? I am taking Oliver this afternoon, so I will check with the vet but was just curious.

Holly
11th December 2007, 10:25 PM
Just talked to the vet and she wants to treat both dogs with Drontal (sp??). And, she said that there is a 2-month cycle so he must have eaten an infected flea about 2 months ago---which makes sense as it was a hot summer and we did have a small flea issue at that time!

Tapeworms are just plain disgusting!!! Yuck!

deb_d
12th December 2007, 12:21 AM
I know what you mean, I hate tapeworms!

Patches gets the occasional one. I treat for fleas but I know that living in the south where it stays warm most of the year, fleas never die off, just live in the grass waiting to catch a ride inside.

Cathy Moon
12th December 2007, 12:24 AM
Isn't that amazing how one little flea can cause such problems! They will soon be worm free.:flwr:

Charlie had fleas when I adopted him, and he had to take Drontal as well. I was relieved to finally have all that behind us!

Caraline
12th December 2007, 05:28 AM
I am pretty sure they can pick up the eggs of tapeworm in the poop of another dog. So if you are out walking & your dog sniffs an infested poop, he may be able to get it that way.

Here in Australia we routinely worm our dogs every 3 months, even if there are no sypmptoms. I know this is different to the routine in some other countries.

Anyway, worms are yucky, so hopefull your dog will be free of them soon.

Barbara Nixon
12th December 2007, 12:51 PM
Drontal Plus is the regular wormer prescribed by most vets, over here. A vet once told me that the tapeworm ingredient is the main difference between adult and puppy wormers, as puppies rarely get tapeworm.

WoodHaven
12th December 2007, 03:42 PM
I am pretty sure they can pick up the eggs of tapeworm in the poop of another dog. So if you are out walking & your dog sniffs an infested poop, he may be able to get it that way.

Here in Australia we routinely worm our dogs every 3 months, even if there are no sypmptoms. I know this is different to the routine in some other countries.

Anyway, worms are yucky, so hopefull your dog will be free of them soon.

You can't get tapeworms from the eggs themselves-- you must ingest a host that has swallowed the tapeworm egg. Here is an overview:

http://www.pets.ca/encyclopedia/tapeworms_dog.htm

nursejess80
14th December 2007, 04:22 AM
Ruby had tapeworms a few weeks ago, and I was completely confused as to how she got them. I've probably seen 2 fleas on her ever, and she's up to date on her flea and tick meds. I read about them, and she probably just ate an infected flea. Fleas and ticks are horrible in the SE US, so I'm surprised that Ruby hasn't had more problems. She's only had one teeny tiny tick ever and that was when she was around 3-4 months old. We've been lucky.....