• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Abcess in the anal Glands

quinnk

Hi Everyone

Just need some of you guys to give me some information regarding my Cav called Raffa. I woke this morning to find blood everywhere,I rushed to the vets to find out that he has an abcess in his anal gland that has now burst but will take at least 2 weeks for him to feel ok again. I feel awfull that I didnt notice this before it got so bad. Please help im so worried about him.

Try not to feel bad, you can't help it if you didn't notice anything. At least now it will get sorted now. Poor fella, two weeks is a long time. What's the treatment?

Abcess on the Anal gland

Hes on strong pain killers, antibiotics and some wash for his bottom and hes also got one of them head busters fitted so he dosent keep irritate his abcess. Thanks for your responce The poor little thing shoul;d feel better soon. They said if it doesnt go they will have to operate. Since I got him hes always been poorly.

2 of mine have had anal gland abcesses both not very nice Pippa recoverd in a few days i think once it bursts the relief was womderful she was back in normal in a few days

India has had 2 rupture this year and will be having surgary in January

don;t feel bad they can come up very fast BUT its much better when they burst than when they don't

PS my vet said no to the buster collar he felt she was best cleaning it herself plus within a day of anti-biotics it begins to itch and it will drive them crazy not being able to get to it ...there is no stitches so they can't do any harm :)

Abcess on the Anal gland

Many thanks to you all for replying to my post youve all helped me feel better. I will let you all know how Raffa is doing. I think this is a wonderful site. x

I can't tell you how many times I've heard of this happening. You don't see it coming and don't know anything is wrong...until it happens. Nothing you could have done, please don't feel bad. You got him to the vet and got it taken care of. Hope Raffa is feeling better soon.

Don't feel bad about this! It is quite common and I have had it happen a few times too over the years, as Inca says they feel so much better once it has burst and are back to normal within a few days. You might like to try adding a teaspoon of bran to his feed to help keep his anal glands down and prevent this from happening again in the future?

It happened me a few months back with Pippin and I didn't notice he had it until it burst either, he's fine now.

Yes it happened to our Sonny about 9 months ago. It seemed to come up without any warning... no scooting, nothing. We went off to work in the morning, got back at lunch time & Sonny looked terrible. I could not believe how quickly he seemed to go downhill & it was obvious that he had been gnawing at his rear end all morning.

Sonny was put on pain killiers, an anti-inflammatory & antibiotics. I am pleased to say that he picked up within about 24 hours, but he did need to stay on the antibiotics for quite some weeks. Touch wood three times... it has not recurred so far. Touch wood again three times. I am into jinxing myself with my mouth at the moment... hence the supersitious quotes.

Hi Just to let you know that Raffa was fine this morning he seemed to be back to normal thank god.... He is a bit disturbed by the head Buster,I have been tempted to take it I know if I do he wont get better. I would nt mind my husband has been working away for 2 weeks nad came home yesterday with an abcess on his tooth so you can all imagine what im going through............. hell!!!! haha

Hi Guys Raffa is feeling much better today. My husband slept with him all night to make sure he diidnt hurt himself with that head buster he keeps bupming into everything.

That happened to Jolly a few months back. There were no early warning signs, no smell. The evening before the rupture he seemed to be lowly and tender and had trouble laying down without pain. Then just like you, he woke up the next morning and it had ruptured.

I got him right to the vet and he was put on antibiotics. Jolly felt like his old self by day 2 or 3 after the rupture. I added extra fiber into Jolly's diet (mini shredded wheat and pure pumpkin and higher fiber dry dog food). I am hoping that that will do the trick to prevent a future episode.

I am glad to hear that he is feeling better and beding able to sleep with dad must have been quite medicinal. We didn't have to put a cone on Sonny when he had his abcess. Are you able to take it off him when you are at home & he is under supervision?

Back