• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Losing weight

tgrover

Hi all,

i am picking up my new and first cavalier on sunday. He is three years old and due to the family having a rather difficult baby they are selling the dog. He has basically put on about 2 kilos of weight since they had their second child as they have not been able to look after him as well as they would have liked.

My question is i want to get him back down to his ideal weight as soon as possible and was wondering how quick/much you should diet a dog. I dont want to fast the dog etc

Give more exercise, but build it up gradually , if he hasn't been used to it and cut his food to a half or two thirds of the amount recommended by the manufacturer, because they nearly always over prescribe. A little bran in the food ( horse or rough from a health shop, ie not processed cereal) added to his food will help make him feel full and be good for bowel movements.

Congats on your new addition! :)

You might want to take him to the vet and have his joints checked, especially his knees, before exercising him with long walks. Sometimes painful knee problems, which can be easily corrected surgically, can be a factor in young dogs getting overweight. And being overweight can put extra stress on the dog's joints.

Back