PDA

View Full Version : Camera-Red Eye Reduction

Jen
17th December 2007, 02:36 PM
We have Canon SD 600 Elph, and the red eye reduction doesn't work on the dogs at all--Abbey's eyes are always red, Gus' are always blue. Curious to see if others have this issue, or if not, what camera are you using where the red eye reduction actually works?

casshon
17th December 2007, 03:04 PM
You can fix this in photoshop using the channel mixer tool. If you do a google search on animal red-eye (or yellow-eye/green-eye) you will get lots of hits. There are some software packages too.

Jen
17th December 2007, 03:17 PM
I've tried, and they end up looking so odd. I think I need to shop around though--probably cheaper to buy a new package.

george108
17th December 2007, 04:23 PM
Jen, I have the same problem. George's eyes come out blue/green in photos. In the past I've tried correcting it with software but I can never get it 100% right.I recently bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-H9. I haven't yet used the built in red eye reduction but I will let you know how it goes.

Barbara Nixon
17th December 2007, 06:38 PM
The red eye reducer on my Canon G6 doesn't do much, but I have doctored photos, using Paintshop Pro (getting a new version for Christmas, as I lost my v7 disk).

I tend to take photos in natural light, as flash can make dogs, and people, pull funny faces, but i found this one, which has been altered. Joly's eyes , on the original, are like huge yellow lamps (the white part is original, but the highlights are added).

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/BarbaraNixon/003mewhat.jpg

george108
17th December 2007, 07:06 PM
Great photo. So cute! I agree about the natural light. It's much softer.

Cathy T
18th December 2007, 04:57 PM
Interesting that you should bring this up right now! I've been trying to get a good photo of the dogs from the Christmas cards (hoping I can get them out before Christmas :eek:) and all of the ones I took in front of the Christmas tree last night have "headlight" eyes! I gave up and am waiting until it's light today and will just take some without the flash. So irritating!