PDA

View Full Version : Too thin..

Lisa_T
17th December 2007, 02:03 PM
I know this is a frequent topic.... how do you cope with family pressure to feed up a dog that they think is too thin?

I had both pups to the vet last week and he was very pleased with them. Amber, who at 18 months stands at around 12" tall at the withers, weighs some 12.6 pounds. She has a very defined waist, and looks long and lanky (this is very noticeable at the moment because she was put in short clip last week). Amber's healthy, the vet said that while she was on the low side weight wise, he wasn't worried - a slightly underweight Cav is better than the reverse. My grandmother commented that Amber's the thinnest Cav she's ever seen, and my uncle who 'breeds' Springers for shooting commented that she was very thin.

But... I remember Holly being very slender at this age - she didn't fill out until she was 3, and I know from posts from Cathryn et al that Cavs can mature slowly. I hate the unspoken implication that I'm starvinig my dogs and that they're too thin, even when the vet is happy. How do I handle this?

Karlin
17th December 2007, 03:29 PM
Ignore them! There really isn't anything you can do once you've explained the situation and there's no point in being bothered by their view. Just say thanks but your vet has confirmed they are in good weight and change the subject.

Believe me there are a lot worse things to have your family on about -- try not having children and not being married, for starters. :rolleyes: :lol: Best approach is always a polite brief reply and to change the subject and ignore them.

Matte
17th December 2007, 03:46 PM
Trust the vet and needs be, tell them what the vet said.

Moviedust
17th December 2007, 04:12 PM
It is annoying, isnt it? It doesn't help that my dogs have learned to beg for food and will sit and drool if someone's eating a snack (thank my husband, btw).

I always say the vet calls their weight "Ideal" (which he does), and I comment that they just aren't used to seeing healthy dogs. If that doesn't shut them up (my family can be quite blunt--they come right out and say I starve my dogs!), I point out they aren't used to seeing a healthy weight on anything but a plant. I point out that they are all fat and their dogs are fat, too! ha!

That shuts them up for --- oh---- maybe 3 minutes? ;) The comment was more successful when I hadn't gained a little extra weight myself.....

WoodHaven
17th December 2007, 04:21 PM
My daughter (vet tech ) says that in the vets office-- about 40% of their clients dogs are overweight and of those, I think she said half are obese. They don't tell clients unless the clients ask, because people become very angry if you criticize their care.

*Pauline*
17th December 2007, 04:35 PM
Last time I asked about Dylan's weight, he's a bit skinny, she said she'd rather that than a fat dog. She said most English dogs are over weight.

Lisa_T
17th December 2007, 04:45 PM
Believe me there are a lot worse things to have your family on about -- try not having children and not being married, for starters. :rolleyes: :lol: Best approach is always a polite brief reply and to change the subject and ignore them.

True. And check. Thankfully my parents have the sense and sensitivity to not moan at me about those particular issues. Shortcut to me being very, very upset.

...and thank you all. I shall be extremely snooty the next time Amber's weight is mentioned and inform them loftily that they don't know what they're talking about. :)

CavyMom
17th December 2007, 08:47 PM
I agree with the others - Ignore them! My Amber is also on the thin side of healthy, but I actually prefer to keep my dogs that way, then again I'm use to the "your dog is to thin" remarks, since most of my dogs are Italian Greyhounds - Even my top preforming male that's currently #3 in the country I have people, including my family, tell me he's to thin!!! But as long as your vet feels the dog is at a healthy weight, I'd ignore them, take it from someone who's worked in a vet clinic - The dogs that are a little on the thin side are almost always healthier the the dogs that are a little on the heavy side!!!! I've seen so many health problems caused by dogs being overweight, from as minor as arthritis and benign fatty tumors, to as extreme as diabetis, kidney and liver disease, and other fatal diseases.

jld
17th December 2007, 10:49 PM
I had to laugh at your post as I have heard almost exactly the same thing about my Dixie. She is 9 mo. old and just weighs 12 lbs. She is definitely thin, but as you said, about your Amber, as healthy as can be. Her vet thinks she is just "right", but my mother thinks just the opposite. She comments on how thin she is every time she sees her....When I said I would take Dixie over to where my mom lives and Dixie could meet her friends, my mom said "Let's wait until she gains some weight." Ha, ha. However, Dixie is doing pre-agility and the trainer insists that they must be on the thin side to do agility so as not to put too much pressure on their knees, shoulders etc. So, I am just not going to worry about it anymore. I just wish I had her problem!!!!!!! Judy and Dixie

Cavashay
18th December 2007, 04:38 AM
try not to let them get to you, as hard as it is!! My Shami girl at 9 months is looong and lanky, and most definetly on the thin side, she is also very energetic and is always busy chasing or playing with something.
Yet Kaids has to be kept on a diet or she will pack it on quickly!
I have to shake my head though, a friend of mine who is always remarking how scrawny she is, and remarking on her other friends cavs on how loverly and big they are... i met them the other day, they were beyond slightly over wieght.
I find it interesting, Kaidie lost the puppy look early, and never went through a scrawny stage, and she grew into a small but stocky girl, so i wonder all the time how Sham will look when she matures...will she always be long and lanky?? or will she grow into herself???

jld
18th December 2007, 01:04 PM
Cavashay, I am wondering the same thing. Dixie looks long and lanky too...DO they grow into their little bodies???? Has anyone else had a long, lean puppy at 9 mo>?????? Judy and Dixie

Kahsie
18th December 2007, 01:55 PM
Hi Lisa T

I thought I'd post Amber's litter sisters stats for comparison. My Kahli also 18 months (funnily enough c'in they were born on the same day, with a few mins in between) is approx 12in high and weighs in at just under 14 pounds, she was a couple of pounds lighter a few months ago, she just seems to have gained some weight out of nowhere with no changes to diet or exercise - prob just filling out

I hope this makes you feel better as the two full sisters are pretty much the same weight and height.

Scouty girl
18th December 2007, 03:27 PM
I agree with everyone else. Don't pay attention to what other's say. Scout is still on the skinny side at 20 months.

From the time she was a small pup my Mother kept telling me how skinny she was. Told me I should feed her more. I told her that Scout is fine and has plenty of time to put on weight, and that she was just a baby. Well just the other day my Mom commented on how nicely Scout was filling out. I reminded her of what she said months ago.

Maybe the problem is that Cavaliers aren't really that popular and that's just their way of growing up. They stay lean and thin for quite a few months then put on weight slowly. who knows. The main thing is you know that Amber is heathly and that's the important thing

luvzcavs
19th December 2007, 09:25 AM
Lisa you sound very sensitive about this and although ignoring them would definately be the easier and probably best option you may not be able to if it is already under your skin.

I would become the voice of doom and baffle them with endless information about the impact on health and the related diseases that come with having an overweight dog or tell them how much it insults your intelligence for them to imply you would allow your dogs to go hungry or be under nourished.
I have done this with my family a few times as they think I over react with MY DOGS healthcare and say things like quality not quantity when treats and risky activities are (offlead) talked about. It annoys me that they judge as it does not cost them anything or really have anything to do with them how I care for my dogs and I found if I ignored them they thought they were right ?

Caraline
19th December 2007, 09:54 AM
Ignore them!

:xctly:

joanna
19th December 2007, 10:23 AM
I agree - Ignore them. People used to say Daisy Boo looked like a runt. Now that her adult coat is coming in my family keep saying she has gotten very fat but it's not fat it's just hair!

Baneybunch
19th December 2007, 12:17 PM
I agree with the group's sentiments. Madison is only 10 lbs at 9 months old but the vet says she is very healthy, happy, and energetic. We feed her what our vet and breeder recommend - 1/3 cup Royal Canin 2 times a day, plus treats. As compared to some of the Cavs we've seen around town, she's on the smaller side but, like the rest of those who have posted, I would rather have a thin, healthy dog than a fat, unhealthy one.

Lisa_T
19th December 2007, 09:19 PM
So nice I'm not the only one!!! Kahsie, we really need to get the pups together at some point to compare them, that'd be so interesting as they're litter sisters.

I'm also interested in the answer to the long'n'lanky question. Holly was always very compact, and still is, so while she went through the skinny stage at a year, it wasn't as noticeable because she has little in the way of neck, for example, whereas Amber has a long neck. Weird...

Cavashay
20th December 2007, 01:29 AM
Lisa T, my Kaids was the same, shes on the shorter side but very stocky/compact. she also had a loverly coat early too, i think thats why sham looks so.......scrawny to others.
Sham was the largest of her litter mates, also very fat, but lost it all rapidly as she grew.
She also grew awkwardly,she'd be up in the rear one month then her front would catch up, all legs another! Very frustrating. Thats why i posted a while back asking for pics of others cavs at 9 m then mature!!!
Her coat now is just starting to come thru a bit now ( ok, so its only the feathers, but ive waited so long for them!) and im beginning to see the dog she WILL be when she matures, but the wait is frustrating and i think she will be over 2 yrs before she matures in body.

Cavashay
20th December 2007, 01:31 AM
oh, for comparison Kaids wieght averages almost 8 kilos and sham almost 6 k. so i'm thinking she will eventually be a bigger dog than kaids.
The way they grow interests me.

THFC1882
20th December 2007, 11:00 PM
I've actually been panicking recently that Candi was too skinny.

Even though she was at the vets a few weeks back and she assured us that she was a healthy dog and weighed just fine.

Doesn't stop me from panicking though.

People haven't commented on her weight (not that we have heard anyway) but im dreading it if/when they do make such comments.