• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Not happy

Barbara Nixon

I'm not happy.

As mentioned on another thread, one of our vets' nurses asked if they could pass my phone number onto a client who needed to part urgently with two young cavaliers and i explained that i could almost certainly help, if they were free for rescue, but could make no promises about a slae.

The dogs are both bitches, unspayed, and the woman wants £250 each for them. She is now a single parent , expecting her baby in three weeks , says she can't cope and doesn't want the dogs, who are too demanding (why have two then ?). I asked her not to act in haste and told her that I knew of someone in a similar position, who is now glad that she kept her dogs,( but the latter was going to give her dogs to rescue and was heartbroken , at the thought, but felt the dogs must come first). However, she was adamant that she didn't want the dogs.

I suggested going back to the breeder, but she said he, actually her brother, would not help as he was no longer interested in breeding and had sold his dogs.

I told her about bybs and the spread of mvd and sm. She said she didn't want her girls to be breeding machines, but must sell them (ie must get money). I told her people not intending to use them as money machines, would be unlikely to pay the asked £250 each, for dogs with no pedigree, but she said her brother got £700 for his stud dog.

I feel so very uneasy about all this and begged her, should she not be able to sell, but needed to part, to ring me and I'd get immediate rescue help, but somehow, I don't think that call will come. Poor dogs...

It's a difficult situation and one I regularly encounter. She will either lower her price and sell them, find someone willing to pay that amount, or find she cannot sell them and ring you again.

Unless you know someone willing to pay for two dogs, who wants two dogs, you have to remember that they WILL probably go to someone who wants two dogs and probably will be fine. There are always lots of cavaliers listed for rehoming at similar prices here in the small ads and it isn't possible to buy them all up. I don't even care for buying dogs in any situation, including puppy farm dogs -- it just puts money into the hands of such people and makes the whole operation worthwhile for them.

If she has a baby coming she is going to have to make a decision one way or another very fast and may come back to you, or try offering a smaller amount for both (I try to not pay more than €50 per dog if I am in a situation where a dog really needs to be bought or will be pts or end up as a breeding dog again in a bad situation. I can recover that amount but not any more than that). The other option is to see if you can sort a cheap spay for the two as at least then they will not be used for breeding.

I'm hoping that she gets desparate if she goes into labour, as family and neighbours are not interested in the dogs, so calls me. If she will surrender, I have guaranteed offer of backup from a rescue and have the surrender forms ready.

I have seen many older Cavis advertised on the internet for £300-£500 so hopefully a lovong home will come forward. Personally if I felt I HAD to part with any of my dogs (that would never happen) but if it did I would make sure they could not be used for breeding then GIVE them to a loving home. A secure, loving home is far more important then money. Certainly it is to me

That's so sad, I face the same situation all the time with the Italians, I have been known to pay minimal amounts to get dogs away from back yard breeders and mills, especially pregnant bitches, but it's a very fine line, and I'll only do it in the cases where I know the breeder/mill is going out of business and isn't going to be getting more dogs to make suffer. Sadly, with owners that are obviously only in it for money, the best thing you can do is educate as you already have and offer to take the dogs - Also try to encourage her to get them spayed before she rehomes them so she knows they won't be used as breeding machines!!!!

I onced approaced a farmer who had a Springer Spaniel left outside in the most awful conditions. I had walked past this dog for a few weeks and could clearly see he was suffering. I was a "bit" stroppy and finally asked the owner was he going to look after the dog. He said NO so take him if you want. I took him then and there! i spent hundreds of pounds of my own money, money was tight as I was recently divorced and two young girls. Rusty was the most adorable dog - I finally homed here with a family that lived in the country and could take her out most of the day. She was homed for free and my expense! I would do it again. I was raised in the States and i was always walking the neighborhood streets just in case some poor animal needed looking after. At 8 years of age I was even inclined to take any animal i saw on the street. Everyone soon knew where to collect their lost animals:)

Good for you, I often do the same thing :) Who can say no to a dog that really needs help! You never get money ahead doing rescue, but the payment you get in unconditional love far outways any money you could ever spend, and in the end it's more valuable then money will ever be!

Back