• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update on Bella

sallymum

Bella has settled in great. Good with the kids loves the other dogs, even the visiting Great dane. she is well behaved inside, loves nothing more than to sit on a knee beside the fire. Good on lead.
Her only vice is trying to find ways of running away. Have since found out this is the main reason why she was rehomed. My garden is fully secure so that isnt a prob. Not that they are in the garden much only first thing in morning and last thing at night unless im out there as well. Bella will even get up on to a window sill and climb out of the window which i caught her doing this morning (maybe she is part cat). Have now changed living room around so she cant get up on window. This morning when she got out, this is second time, never seen the first time how she got out, she tore down the road and started chasing the cars, thankfully i caught her quickly so she was fine.
Now i know she has this problem i can hopefully change things and make everyone aware of her passion for the road. She was, which i wasnt told ,most of the time a street dog. I have even this morning been down hardware shop and bought chicken wire to put around my fence in the front and a lock for my front gate to hopefully stop this route on the of chance that if she gets out again she can be stopped. I wont be taken any chances with her as i have never seen a dog so badly wanting to go out that they will climb out of a window. Also have got her chipped Saturday.
Any advice would be welcome.

Sallymum, it's great that Bella is settling in so well. Gosh I've never heard of a cav wanting to escape before! Through the window! Maybe she is indeed part cat.

I have no advice as it seems to me you are doing all the right things: microchipping her, Bella-proofing the house and garden, but perhaps someone else will have something more constructive to say.

Thanks for the update. :)

Last edited:
Bella sounds like a right little rogue :).

I haven't really got any advice but all my dogs love to get out the front - I suppose it's the fact that it is "forbidden". Maybe enhancing her recall might help if she does ever get out again. Although my Bella completely ignores me when she is outside but is very good inside :rolleyes:. Molly is deaf so unless she can see me she will carry on rambling - she is very good at recall outside though.

How about a movement sensor (they are quite cheap) to put on the window ledge in warmer weather, so you can have your windows open ?

The breeder that I got my Amber from has a little cavalier named Slipper that will take off any chance she gets - And will even climb the fence and run along the top of the fence before jumping over and taking off. The way the solved the problem was to put scat matts around her windows to keep Slipper from trying to excape through a window, and then she took PVC pipe and put it along the top of her fence so when slipper would go to climb the fence, the pipe would roll and she'd be unable to get over the fence. Good luck, it'll take some patience and training, but she'll get there :) I'd also recommend getting her into an obedience class and working on some basic obedience, then if she does excape, she'll know to come to you when you call. I'm glad you're getting her microchipped - That's also a very good idea for an excape artist, or any dog for that matter!

Back