• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dylan isn't well.

*Pauline*

Poor Dylan has an upset tummy. He had diarrhea yesterday. He also got up at 2am and 5am and got himself all dirty each time, poor thing had to get in the bath for a few showers. He also threw up clear mucus this morning.

I took him to the vet who gave him a prebiotic to balance his stomach and asked me to take stool samples for 3 days and hand in the pot on Friday. He said he wanted to check there wasn't a parasite in there as he's otherwise ok but has had this happen before. There's no temperature, he isn't off his food and he is playful.

I also have to starve him until tomorrow morning. I feel like I'm torturing him, he keeps asking for food :(

I'm wondering if the stool sample is necessary but I am covered by insurance so I may as well, it cost me £85 in total for the prebiotic, the consultation and the stool test. The stool test alone was £48

p.s. Worried now, please see post #7 below.

He's a picture of the little fella. I was trying to keep him warm and cosy but he only stayed there a minute, he hates being too warm:rolleyes: (That stringy hair coming from under the blanket is a cushion, not Dylan's fur!)

2122530045_e74780ff18.jpg

2122528097_17a2a40069.jpg

Last edited:
poor dylan, i hope that he is feeling better soon, he looks so cute wrapped up in the blanket!!! yet us posted!!

:hug: to Dylan...hope he feels better soon!!

He does look so adorable all wrapped up.

I'm worried now. Dylan finally did a poo, it was firm and I took the sample but I noticed a tiny bit of blood in it i think. Just two little dots of red, not watery. When I was at the vets, he asked if there had been any blood but I said no because I hadn't seen any. I'll be calling the vet in the morning.

Last edited:
Don;t get too worried especially if he isn't much under the weather. Blood isn't necessarily anything to worry about. Jaspar, Lily and one of my cats has blood in stools on and off and it isn;t any big deal -- some animals just get a bit of blood in their stools (those that have on and off stomach upsets, generally). It is however always important to have it checked so yes, you do need to do the stool samples. He may have bleeding gastroenteritis -- and if you catch it at this early stage then it can be dealt with easily -- also it is the right approach to have him off food. Your vet will be able to tell you more when you have him in but let the vet know you have seen some blood.

It is really common for dogs coming out of the pound to get some blood in stools due to poor diet and anxiety, and dogs with worms can also show some blood in stools. It is generally not a worry but as I said, you always want to check with a vet.

Pauline, I've only just read this entire thread now. I hope Dylan is feeling better soon. Please keep us posted on how it goes at the vets. :hug: :hug: to you as I'm sure you need them just now.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

I called the vet this morning and the nurse is giving him all the details. I was thinking of cancelling the stool sample as he probably won't produce anything today as he ate nothing yesterday and I gave him chicken and rice this morning. I'll see what the vet says. He wanted 3 days of samples all in the same pot, seems a bit odd to me. I think it may be best to start the 3 days of samples on Monday as we are not going to be restricted by the weekend...

...The nurse called me back. The vet still wants to do the stool sample but I asked if it's better to wait until Monday to start taking the samples Monday to Wednesday as he probably won't poo today and it has to be handed in tomorrow morning. I only have one sample from last night. She said she'd get back to me if the vet disagreed and I haven't heard from her.

It's usually best to get samples while you are seeing a problem. Dogs will still tend to produce stools even if they are not being fed. If you have seen blood you really need to have that checked -- it may be nothing but it can also be a sign of a serious problem so I'd have the fecal done while you are seeing the problem. It doesn't really matter whether they are all in one container or not -- they just need enough matter over a period to check, doesn't matter which day is which. (y)

Karlin, he still has only done one poo on Wed, nothing today so far, he's eaten twice. Yes it makes sense to have this test done sooner than later. I have only tiny sample as he said take a pea size amount. Have you ever heard of a sample being taken over three days?

Mishmosh, I'm thinking it's not gastroenteritis as the vet said his stomach is nice and relaxed and isn't hurting him.

If he has blood and it isn't gastroenteritis, I'd want to have that checked out.

Yes, I've heard of them wanting samples over a couple of days.

You seem really concerned about whether and why to actually do a fecal though, and the way in which they want it taken and why. I'd just ring them and ask why they need a sample over several days as I am sure they will be happy to explain the reasons if they didn't do that for you. If you are not happy with this approach then maybe try a different vets for a second opinion?

He also sounds constipated perhaps? Or am I misunderstanding -- I thought you were withholding food, but you've fed him twice? Or have you just reintroduced food today?

I trust them, it's a good vets. I just wish, like you say, it had been explained. I'd understand it more if each day the sample went into a different jar. Still no poo yet icon_whistling

Back