• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tail docking?

CavyMom

I was reading the AKC standard for the Cavalier, as eventually I intend to get Amber into the showring for fun, I show my Italians and we enjoy the experience so much I want to include Amber in the fun!!! Anyway, as I was reading the standard, one point really stuck out to me, and I must admit I'm shocked and disguisted to see this in the standard!
Tail - Well set on, carried happily but never much above the level of the back, and in constant characteristic motion when the dog is in action. Docking is optional. If docked, no more than one third to be removed
Is it a common practice? I've been watching and learning about Cavalies both in homes and in the showring for about 2 years now, and I've never noticed a docked tail, I find a longer, feathered tail very attractive my self - Can anyone give me a reason why someone would dock the tail of a Cavalier?

Cavaliers were docked originally like their ancestors the king charles. It is not done now though I have heard of very rare cases of them being docked today

I've not yet heard of a cavalier show breeder who has seen docked cavaliers and why anyone would chop a third of the tail off is beyond me -- it really seemsthis should be left out of the breed standard in this day and age and presumably it will be left out of the UK standard from now on? I think their tails and ears are their best features (besides their personalities of course!).

It will be interesting to see what effect the UK ban on docking will have on N. American breeders as they cannot show ANY docked dog of any breed, born after the ban came into effect at Crufts or any show in the UK that charges an admission. Maybe everyone will now switch to Westminster as the defining show but I think saying you qualified for Westminster will never carry quite the ring as saying you qualified for Crufts. I think a lot of N. American breeders will stop docking, wiring ears into cages etc as well. I am sure it will affect many Irish breeders right away. I certainly hope it will anyway. I've seen quite a few cockers with tails and they look so nice!

It will be interesting to see what effect the UK ban on docking will have on N. American breeders as they cannot show ANY docked dog of any breed, born after the ban came into effect at Crufts or any show in the UK that charges an admission. Maybe everyone will now switch to Westminster as the defining show but I think saying you qualified for Westminster will never carry quite the ring as saying you qualified for Crufts. I think a lot of N. American breeders will stop docking, wiring ears into cages etc as well. I am sure it will affect many Irish breeders right away. I certainly hope it will anyway. I've seen quite a few cockers with tails and they look so nice!

Unfortunatly if they are really desperate to take a dog to crufts they might just leave the tail docking until a later date. I know a few people who intend to buy pups or adults from the UK & have them docked when they get to the US.

That's so sad that breeders/exibiters feel they have to torture the dog to show it :( I refuse to ever show/breed/raise ANY breed that you have to dock and/or crop for them to do well in the showring, I'd like to see the US take the UK's lead and ban docking and cropping for anything but a medical need!!!!! I just can't see any sense in cutting 1/3 off a cavaliers beautiful tail!!!!!!

I recently fostered a cavalier that had the third of it's tail docked.Such a shame because it was such a rich thick tail.It certainly detracts from it's appeal.
Sins

I was recently at the Miami Dog Show and was delighted to see a natural Giant Schnauzer from Germany being shown...natural ears, natural tail.

Then, me and the audience and of course the owner were HORRIFIED when the dog was disqualified and removed from the ring. The owner protested that docking/cropping is illegal in Germany and the judge persisted. It was very upsetting.

Docking these wonderful companions should be banned! I think it is cruel and unusual punishment to all dogs. I like to see people crop their body parts to fit in with the rest of society!

Cavaliers are quite common in the UK and I'm glad to report that I've never seen a docked tail.

I didn't know what you meant regarding the Giant Schnauzer's ears. I had to google it and was absolutely mortified by what I saw. I have never seen that before either. Doing that to a dog is repulsive.

It was quite common in the 70s for Cavaliers to be docked - and Charlies were still being docked up until the legislation changed...

I much prefer to see dogs with tails, but I know many feel that the tails spoil the outline of the dog in some breeds as the breeders have not concentrated on improving the tails in many previously docked breeds.

Good point - And some dogs I can see a medical reason, I use to have a springer spaniel that I cropped her tail as an adult because she was such a happy dog she kept getting "happy tail" where her tail would wag so hard it'd hit things and split open, docking it was the only way to keep her from injuring it, but that's an extreme case! Most dogs don't need their tails docked - And ears are a whole different ball game, I've had friends that have cropped their dogs ears, and watching that dog suffer through bandage changes and taping and all sorts of garbage is absurd! I have a good friend that has a dane she shows with natural ears - And he does OK in the AKC, in the UKC on the othe rhand he does wonderful because the judges there seem to appreciate a fine dog even if it hasn't been through torture to "improve" it's image :( There's nothing improved about it - It's cruelty plain and simple!

Back