PDA

View Full Version : Doggie Door Bells-Teach your dog to "ring the bell" to ask to go outside

mcrawley
26th December 2007, 02:53 PM
Delete

chloe92us
27th December 2007, 01:51 AM
Not sure how to IM, so can you send me an email to chloe92us@hotmail.com with your info? I'd like to have it so when I decide to order one I know how to find you. That way, I can also forward it to my doggie loving friends too. Thanks.

Nicki
27th December 2007, 06:27 PM
Do you ship to the UK too please?

mcrawley
27th December 2007, 07:11 PM
Do you ship to the UK too please?

I have no problem shipping to the UK provided you are willing to pay for shipping.

merlinsmum
28th December 2007, 11:04 AM
I can honestly say these are the best things ever! I got my from the US from helping udders and they work a treat - Merlin doesn't use them as he has his own way of telling you he needs to potty but Oaks just loves to bash them to tell you he wants out :)

Barbara Nixon
28th December 2007, 11:26 AM
I rigged one up for Teddy, as he scratches the wall, to let you know, and has dug down to the brickwork. He uses his bells, but scratches as well, so we still get to see the brickwork. The other two sit and look, hoping you'll just notice them.

ice-cavi
28th December 2007, 11:13 PM
I think its genious! But isn't it hard to teach them how it works?

mcrawley
28th December 2007, 11:29 PM
I think its genious! But isn't it hard to teach them how it works?

It is really easy to teach them. All it takes is consistency and LOTS OF PRAISE! cl*pThe bells come with detailed instructions on teaching them.

Kristy
13th January 2008, 08:10 PM
i hope you will be selling these in 2009 as i will be wanting something like this! the breeder im buying from explains on her site about teaching them to ring a bell to go outside so its something im interested in trying. so give me about a year and a half and ill hunt this thread down to order one from you. ;)

Ste
14th January 2008, 04:12 PM
If I had one of those the Abigail hound would eat it very quickly, she seems to have arrived very late at her chewing/shredding phase:p

mcrawley
14th January 2008, 04:36 PM
If I had one of those the Abigail hound would eat it very quickly, she seems to have arrived very late at her chewing/shredding phase:p

Have you tried an anti-chew spray to deter her from her favorite objects? They sell a lot of products that don't work in stores. I highly recommend EQyss McNasty Anti-chew spray. It has worked wonders with my two!

Theresa
14th January 2008, 07:13 PM
Can older dogs be taught to use the bell?

I have heard of this method before and tried to get my rescued schnauzer (aged 5) to use it. I don't know if I didn't persevere enough or maybe she's a bit thick but she never managed to grasp the concept!!!:-p

mcrawley
14th January 2008, 07:31 PM
I think older dogs can definitely learn to use it. It takes a lot of consistency and praise. Keep at it!

casshon
15th January 2008, 09:51 AM
Can older dogs be taught to use the bell?

I have heard of this method before and tried to get my rescued schnauzer (aged 5) to use it. I don't know if I didn't persevere enough or maybe she's a bit thick but she never managed to grasp the concept!!!:-p

I taught my 2 how to use the bells at age 4. Consistency and a treat every time they ring is the answer. You also need to act very quickly when they do ring the bell and you're not near them. Bella caught on very quickly and now rings the bell occasionally just to get a treat :rolleyes:. It took Molly longer but she is deaf. I didn't actually expect her to learn this so she surprised me.

Linda'nQuincy
16th January 2008, 06:02 PM
I am wondering if older dogs (age 1 1/2 yrs.) can be trained to use these. Quincy stands by the door to let us know he wants out....he seldom barks which would be helpful. Thanks....

Linda'nQuincy
16th January 2008, 06:05 PM
Oops! I missed the responses to training older dogs that were sent before mine...........

mcrawley
16th January 2008, 06:53 PM
Oops! I missed the responses to training older dogs that were sent before mine...........

No problem. :)

Crittercall
22nd January 2008, 12:53 AM
I bought some from Helping Udders (wish I'd seen yours first!!) but I think my husband thought it was a C'mas decoration. Shortly after the holidays he took them off the door!! I'm going to try again, though. If raccoons can learn to ring a bell for food then a Cavalier should be able to ring one to go outside (unless, of course, she can get someone else to ring it for her!!)

Lani
22nd January 2008, 01:09 AM
I think with patience any dog can learn to use the bells. Lucky has been using them since he was about 6 months. But I have a friend with a 3 year old that I gave a set to, and her dog learned to use them in a matter of weeks. Patience & consistency are key.

Claire L
23rd January 2008, 05:09 PM
I think with patience any dog can learn to use the bells. Lucky has been using them since he was about 6 months. But I have a friend with a 3 year old that I gave a set to, and her dog learned to use them in a matter of weeks. Patience & consistency are key.

Lani, I've been trying to get my two to use their bells but they just look at them :confused: how do you get them to ring them ? please please tell me because I am obviously doing something wrong :(.

Lani
23rd January 2008, 06:19 PM
I put a treat behind the bell, and then gave him the treat once he rang it.

Then, told him what a good boy he is, and then took him out. Small treat, consistently, every time he went out. And then one day, I heard the bells ring on their own ... he made the associate that the bells mean he gets to go outside.

Now, I must warn you that when they first learn this, they don't necessarily associate going out with going to the bathroom, but might ring just to go chase leaves and squirrels. I still struggle with that a bit, but now Lucky mostly just does it if he really has to go out. And he'll be persistent about it as well.

casshon
23rd January 2008, 07:12 PM
I did exactly the same as Lani. Bella had already learned the "touch" command so when she touched the bell I would say "ring" and give her a treat. For Molly (because she is deaf) I put the treat behind the bell so she had to touch it and then gave her the treat. Now I say "Bella ring" everytime she goes out and she will ring the bell. I still have to lure Molly to ring. But they both will ring the bell by themselves if they decide they need to go out.

I also have the problem now that Bella rings the bell just to get the treat and not go outside. If she has been out recently I just ignore her but otherwise I treat her and let her out. (Then she sits by the door feeling sorry for herself if she doesnt need to go to the toilet :rolleyes:)

Once there's food involved they usually catch on pretty quickly :rolleyes:

Reagan
3rd October 2011, 07:23 PM
We use a desk bell with Reagan. It took him a while to figure it out but we just rang it every time we went out with him, and now he rings it on his own. We chose the desk bell because we travel frequently so we can take it anywhere with us! ;)

Tania
5th October 2011, 11:11 AM
When Molly and Dougall were puppies, we taught them to touch. Molly doesn't bark to ask for a pee, so we taught the both to ring the bell. It works
really well except sometimes Dougall continually rings the bell at 3am :sl*p:

Nicki
5th October 2011, 11:45 AM
It works really well except sometimes Dougall continually rings the bell at 3am :sl*p:

Ah he has YOU very well trained then :D

Charlifarley
5th October 2011, 12:44 PM
I wish I had taught my two to do this :sl*p:
Trapper (aged 7) is on Frusemide for his heart and frequently has 'accidents' in the house. At the moment we are able to leave the door to the garden open most of the time, but sometimes he just decides it's nicer to go inside :roll:. I'm not sure how we will manage with him during the winter, but I'll keep him confined to the kitchen where it's easier to mop up.
I guess at this stage it's a bit late to teach an old(ish) dog new tricks?