• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

puppy diarrhea

josie66

my [u[[y is 10 weeks old, ever since i changed her food, she has had diarrhea a least 6 times today. I am concerned.
Please help

I think unless you change the food VERY gradually, puppies are sensitive and can develop vommitting etc. I would take her to the vet just to be on the safe side.

Hi Pricilla

I would get the puppy to the vets as soon as possible. At that age diarrhea can be fatal, so you need to a) find out the cause of diarrhea, b) ensure that the puppy is not becoming severely dehydrated, and c) be advised how to manage this.

Please don't delay. Let us know how you go eh? :xfngr:

As Caraline says, it is urgent to get a puppy having diarrhea for more than 24 hours to the vet -- they can go fatally downhill very quickly (they can literally be beyond recovery within hours) and diarrhea can be a sign of many very serious illnesses including parvo and distemper which are usually fatal unl;ess caught very early. So get her checked out as a matter of extreme urgency if this has been going on for some time. Most likely it is something minor, but minor can turn quickly to major in a puppy.

As others note, slow food changes are often better for puppies. But also, be sure you are feeding a high quality (NOT supermarket), appropriate food. Some dogs definitely do better on one brand than another so if a food isn't agreeing it is a sign that you'll need to try something else. I'd go back to her original food and slowly introduce something else. But all of this only should be done after that vet check. (y)

Thank you all

Thank you for your responses, she is doing a little better today because I put her back onto her original food. But I still will take her to the vet, just in case. Happy New Year to you and your family and your gorgeous dogs!:rah::rah:cavtiny

Back