PDA

View Full Version : Help! Worried about lump.

KingstonsMom
30th December 2007, 07:30 AM
Something strange just happened. I was watching television on my sofa, and Kingston was sitting on my lap. As I was petting him, I felt a tiny bump underneath the skin on the left side of his body. I parted his hair to get a good look at it, and I guess it was partly scabbed over because when I moved his hair it pulled the scab off and he immediately started bleeding. Then I noticed a tiny gray ball protruding from the open sore so I wiped the blood off with a napkin and put the little ball in a ziploc bag (in case I need to show the vet). That little ball really threw me off. I've never seen anything like that. It's perfectly round and gray and on the bottom is has white stuff where it was attached to Kingston's insides.

This looks more serious than a simple bug bite to me. It's a nasty little sore, and there was a fair amount of blood. There also appears to be something else in there that's a beige color, however if I squeeze the sore lightly it won't come out. It could just be tissue underneath, but I'm not sure. Kingston is sleeping now, but he was trying to lick and scratch the wound for a while after I found it, so it was obviously hurting him. Of course, I will see what the vet has to say, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something of this nature. What could this be?????

Barbara Nixon
30th December 2007, 11:48 AM
Could this be a tick, as they are grey?

ann
30th December 2007, 12:07 PM
It sounds very much like a tick..... We had a cat and I found a tick on him.
Best to leave it well alone and let the vet look.....

merlinsmum
30th December 2007, 12:32 PM
Sounds like a tick to me too - would get a vet to look in case the head/teeth are still in the wound

Lynn
30th December 2007, 01:38 PM
Sounds like a tick to me too. My vet told me that even though I use Frontline, the tick will still attach and then die while attached. In two weeks time I had 3 ticks attach to Maxwell this fall. My instructions from the vet were to take tweezers and pull from the head of the tick trying to get all of it. Then wash it with antiseptic then put on an antibiotic ointment. Then clean it every day and reapply antibiotic ointment. (I did this just for 3 or 4 days) Max had a bump on his skin that took about 2 months to completely go away. The vet did look at it when Max had his annual exam. All was fine.

Hope all is well with Kingston. :)

Karlin
30th December 2007, 02:21 PM
Sounds like a tick so bring the bag in (good thinking to save the grey thing in a bag!) and don't touch the spot any further. It sounds like the head has broken off embedded in the skin and a vet needs to remove this and treat the wound. The wound can get infected with the head still in there so that's why you'll want to have a vet have a look. :thmbsup: It isn't an emergency but you will want it looked at asap.

Nicki
30th December 2007, 05:35 PM
It does sound like a tick - they can cause quite a nasty sore.

You can get special hooks from teh vet to remove ticks, which are pretty good at taking the head out too. Always remember to rotate them anticlockwise, this helps to release the hold.

KingstonsMom
30th December 2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm 99% sure it's not a tick, as I've removed many ticks from dogs in my day. The round ball is TINY, just a bit bigger than the point of a pencil. It doesn't appear to be a living thing such as a tick but more like a growth of some sort. There was nothing above the skin either. Perhaps it could've been an inflamed follicle or benign cyst that burst when I pulled on it????

Kingston is playing and eating normally, but I'll continue to keep an eye on him until the vet opens tomorow.

Caraline
30th December 2007, 11:52 PM
It is good that you have kept it to show to the vet. It also could be a little cyst that became infected & erupted, a foreign body such as thorn, grass seed or ingrown hair that has been in there a long time & become infected.

Let us know what it is as we are all mystified now. I hope it is something minor and that the wound will heal up nicely now that it is out.

merlinsmum
31st December 2007, 11:55 AM
Yes, please let us know:xfngr: its something and nothing:paw:

PuppyLuv
5th January 2008, 11:32 PM
Have you had the vet culture the sore? Did you know that MRSA has been found in animals too? I don't mean to scare you because it may not be this. My son had MRSA and it looked like a bug bite. It ended up being a boil. I took him to the doctor and he cultured the wound. Two days later ~ it came back positive for MRSA. The culture let the doctor know what type of antibiotic would work to kill his particular strain. In a few days his sore was cleared. There's a website www.bellamossfoundation.com (http://www.bellamossfoundation.com). It discusses MRSA in animals. Please keep an eye on the sore. If it doesn't heal in a normal amount of time ~ take your dog to the vet and get a culture done.

KingstonsMom
7th January 2008, 10:35 PM
Sorry for the delay in my response. I did not end up taking Kingston to the vet. I cleaned his wound with hydrogen peroxide and kept antibiotic ointment on it. It has cleared up entirely, to the point where I cannot even find it anymore. If anything like this occurs again, I will be taking him to the vet immediately. Thanks for everyone's concern for Kingston!

merlinsmum
8th January 2008, 05:24 PM
Sorry for the delay in my response. I did not end up taking Kingston to the vet. I cleaned his wound with hydrogen peroxide and kept antibiotic ointment on it. It has cleared up entirely, to the point where I cannot even find it anymore. If anything like this occurs again, I will be taking him to the vet immediately. Thanks for everyone's concern for Kingston!

Thanks for the update :) Perhaps it was just a funny folicle or something that had got infected...