PDA

View Full Version : Heartworm Vaccination

Caraline
31st December 2007, 07:46 AM
Guys, a while back I learned that the heartworm vaccination had been pulled off the market there in the USA due to a high number of adverse reactions and deaths.

The reason I ask is that my guys have always been given a monthly heartworm tablet due to the fact that here in Australia, and particularly my area we have mosquitos all year round & heartworm is a constant threat. When I first heard about this vaccination I thought "you beauty" and was all geared up in my head to have my lot done when their annual vaccinations came due.

Now of course, I have decided it isn't worth the risk. Australia can be a little slow at pulling nasty drugs off the market, so I'm more inclined to watch what is happening there in the USA.

Anyway, I wonder if anybody has any updated news on this? I am about 99.99% sure I am going to give this a big miss at the moment, but wouldn't mind a last minute update if anybody has any.

Cathy Moon
1st January 2008, 03:47 PM
Haven't heard anything yet - my vets are still prescribing Revolution or the monthly tabs. I use the Interceptor monthly tabs for added protection against other worms.

Nicki
1st January 2008, 07:37 PM
I think it's refers to Proheart 6 - http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/2004/ANS01312.html

more info here

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/avictim.htm

scroll down - I don't know this site, it came up on a search so you many need to check it.

CavyMom
1st January 2008, 07:59 PM
Sadly Proheart 6 was a good IDEA for some owners that have trouble remembering monthly meds, but I agree that it's to dangerious - About 4 -5 years ago now I used it on one of my dogs and the dog became very sick from it, it's caused a number of deaths as well, knowing what I know now even if they re-released a "safer" proheart 6 I wouldn't use it - Keep in mind that heartworm meds are really poison in small doses, in my eyes a small amount of poison that only lasts a month is much safer then a large amount of poison that lasts 6 months or longer!!!

Caraline
1st January 2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks guys. Sounds like it may still be a no-go-zone. I'll just get the regular vaccinations done and keen using the monthly tables. Better safe than sorry.