• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Licking the floor!

PseudoTwins

Help! Both Reggie & Laci are constantly sniffing the floor and licking it. They also lick the cabinets, bedspreads, clothes, etc. Is this normal or is there some sort of deficiency? The sniffing and licking the floor is getting to be a little obsessive, in my opinion, when we are in the kitchen. Sometimes I think it's boredom, but they have so many toys! Not to mention our undivided attention. :) Does anybody have any advice?

Oh, by the way, HI! I haven't been on the site for a while! :eek:

I read somewhere that when dogs sniff, they often actually lick as well because they have a sensory organ in the roof of their mouths.

Still, if it seems over the top (and I know what you mean, our girl is in a phase right now where she's licking the bed pillows). What we do is "break it up"--we tell her "no" and move her away from the pillow--she gets the point after a few tries. I can see that this would be a lot harder when you're dealing with the kitchen floor, but maybe if you can break the behavior with respect to clothes and cabinets, it will help.

My dogs do it too, but I've noticed it's been in places where my daughter has spilled a little drink, even days prior, or they find slobber or something. It's usually a scent of ours that they lick... The worst is when Wesley starts licking the toilet though. So gross!!

I've read that really continuous licking can be due to either an obsessive compulsive behaviour or more rarely a dietary deficiency perhaps. Are they siblings? If they are related it could be some deficiency or some neurological issue maybe --hence leading to obsessive compulsive behaviour -- or maybe one dog has the behaviour and the other simply copies him/her?

Either way I'd talk to your vet and ask for advice. If it is just now and then it is probably more annoying than anything else. It really isn't safe for dogs to be licking floors and cabinets unless you are sure to only wash them with non-harmful, bio-friendly cleaning products. Licking some of the chemicals in regular household products could make them very ill or burn their mouths.

Also see:

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dlick.html

licking the floor

Hi...I'm new here...our 9 month old ruby licks the floor,walls all day long.And goes beserk at reflections of any kind. The vet had him on prozac for 6 wks.....no change,I have two DAP systems plugged in and we are also trying Bach's Rescue Remedy......our last effort was bringing home another cav puppy this week......I have researched this and some say OCD,some say anxiety some say Rabies Miasm.....
Any advice would be greatly appreciated......oh.It doesn't matter is he walks for an hour or plays etc.....he'll still do it.

Back