• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

HELP! - anxious new Cav mommy

kimmycomm

I am a single woman who recently adopted a 2 year old female Cavalier right before Xmas and have been home with her the past 2 weeks gettig her acclimated . She was a breeding dog prior to this, so she is not at all used to a regular "home" setting and has adapted to everything quite well!

Here's my issue: icon_nwunsuretoday is my first day back to work and leaving her home alone all day. My parents will be coming during the afternoons to let her out for a bathroom break and spend some time with her, but I am CRAZY ANXIOUS worrying about her being alone all day when I'm at work. I brought this issue up with the breeder prior to adopting her, and the breeder assured me that she will be fine (since she's 2, she literally does sleep most of the day).

I was just wondering if I could hear reassurance from anyone else who lives alone and has to leave their Cav all day and hear that they are fine...........

Thanks so much!
Kim

Kim, our cav Cleo spends a fair amount of the day by herself. Like you we both have to work and thus are absent from the house for 8 hours a day. My mother who only lives down the road, has taken a huge fancy to Cleo and drops by daily to see Cleo and take her for a walk. (I think it's the highlight of both their days). Cleo certainly seems to like the set up. She is never alone for longer than 4 hours and has something to look forward to during the day, until we can get home.:) I'm pretty sure that she sleeps most of the rest of the time, as when we were all at home at Christmas, that was what she wanted to do all day - although obviously from a position from which she could keep an eye on everything in case someone produced something interesting like food! :) I'm sure that your lady will likewise thrive. She may be a bit lunatic when you arrive home first, but I think thats the excitement of having someone around. :) Let us know how it goes when you get home. I think the separation is worse for us than them to be honest. :D

As in most instances, I think the process of going to work can be harder on the human component of the owner-pet relationship! I have three cavs, so it is a bit of a relief to know that they at least have each other. To help me feel more comfortable with their safety, I leave my dogs in a secured area where they have access to water and a kennel as well as a petbed but they can't get into anything else. I think they all three cuddle together in the kennel and sleep all day. :S

Someone comes home for lunch everyday to feed and let the girls out. They don't spend more than 4 hours without someone here. They are happy to see us but not at all reluctant to go into their xpen. They dash in there and line up for a little treat.

After the first few days, I'm sure you'll feel more comfortable leaving your baby home alone. Let us know how it goes!

My little girl bailey is also left alone for a portion of the day and I don't think she minds at all. She is usually curled up sleeping when I leave her at 9 o'clock and only just waking up when I go home at 12 for lunch :lol: I usually spend an hour with her before going back to work and then my mum is home at 2. I'm sure your cav will be fine once she gets used to her new routine.

She'll be fine. When I've had to be away for longer than 4-6 hours and have organised cover for the dogs, I usually get reports to the effect that they 'didn't even come to say hello'. They are warm and snuggly and comfy beside the radiator, you see. This was also true when I had just the one - in fact Holly by herself was often even more reluctant to leave her cosy bed unless you gave her a good reason. In her ladyship's considered opinion, going out to the loo in the cold/wind/rain did not constitute a 'good reason'. Cue lots of dirty looks when my friend decided that, like it or lump it, Holly had to go potty! : )

I'm single too. But I have three dogs!

One of the dogs - Picco - he stay in a xpen, because he chew up many things. This is not good for my things, and not good for his stomach.

The other two dogs - Baggy and Josy - stay in the same room, but outside the xpen.

The xpen is not big enough for 3 full-grown dogs.

Befor I leave my home, I give them a toy or something to chew (kong or dry rumen oder something others). So the dogs are busy! The rest in time their are sleeping.

I think it says a lot about what she means to me that this is a concern....but I'll bet she just sleeps all day. I work at home and I can tell you what my dogs do most of the day...sleep!! I take 10 minute breaks here and there to toss a ball and then they settle right back down. I bet she'll be okay.

Hi Kim

There are lots of working people on the forum with only one Cavalier. She will be fine. It is great that your parents can come by to let her out for a potty break and that will certainly make it easier on her. Dogs are very adaptable and contented once they get into a routine. You are probably fretting more than she is... but that is lovely that you are so caring.

Thank You!!!!

I just wanted to say THANKS SO MUCH to all of you who replied to my post! It makes me feel so much better to hear from all of you and to know that there are other owners/Cavs that are in our situation and that everything works out just fine!

I got home last night and my little girl (her name is Heart) was just as happy and normal as ever :Dand I think that, as most of you had suggested, the traumatization was completely on my end!!!!!

I forgot to mention that besides my parents coming to visit, she does have two cats to keep her company, but she's not really sure what exactly to make of them yet!!!;)

Thanks again to all of you!!!!
Kim (Heart's concerned mommy)

Hi Kim, I also live alone and work eight hours a day, five days a week. Most days my Mom comes and gets Scout and takes her to her house, but some days she spends all day with Breeze and Alex. Heart will be fine. Like you said you worry more about it then she does. Isn't the welcome home marvelous?

Back