PDA

View Full Version : Poultry Intolerance??

estelle
2nd January 2008, 06:33 PM
Hi everyone,
Baileys really improving as in my other post, i'm now wondering if maybe he's intolerant to chicken, turkey (poultry)? His poo's have gone from being almost every hour and really soft to twice sometimes three times daily and firm!

Before changing to RC Sensible I always bought chicken or turkey kibble and having just checked the RC this also has poultry in, the prescription food from the vet's however is salmon flavour and has no poultry whatsoever. I may be clutching at straws here, what do you all think??

Thanks

Karlin
2nd January 2008, 06:56 PM
Chicken is one of the top items that can cause food intolerances and allergies, along with beef, wheat, corn and dairy products including yogurt.

Turkey generally is well tolerated as an alternative to chicken. But for some dogs a protein source like lamb, fish, duck or venison works better.

estelle
2nd January 2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks Karlin, I suppose the thing to do is after his course of prescription food see if his poos increase again and if so try him on something like JWB fish kibble?? I just don't like to keep changing his food though!

Thanks again

Karlin
2nd January 2008, 07:22 PM
It is important to get a good food that he tolerates. Changing foods isn't that big a deal -- dogs are omnivores. If he did better on a salmon based food I'd try him on the JWB fish. Zooplus.co.uk also now do a line of foods for dogs with food intolerances and allergies. I'd ask your vet.