• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

First aid classes for pets

I was sent by the company I work for on a week long course, with the St Johns Ambulance to learn CPR and work based first aid, and it was mentioned by the trainers that we could use the skills we had learned on our pets if need be,

I've read that using the Heimlich manoeuvre is a last ditch thing -- that it can also break bones and is risky. But general first aid skills would definitely be useful. I know you can do mouth to mouth on an animal!

On a small dog like a cavalier, if it was chocking I would try the same method that you use for a child first, by lying it a cross my knee head down and slapping it hard across the back, the Heimlich technique is a last resort with any one.

Thanks for that alternative Lynne, I'd heard the Heimlich manoeuvre can be dangerous too. Hope I never have to use it.

Back