• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Reputable breeder in the NY NJ area

cricket865

Can someone recommend one? I am a first timer, I have a chocolate lab mix and have fell in love with the Cavalier breed. I have been researching them for over a month after never hearing of them before. Any advice ( I have read most of the threads on here) would be welcome.

Cricket:jump:

Welcome to the board! :)

People are welcome to PM you privately with suggestions -- I don't allow public discussions of breeders though because depending on the recommendations/criticisms, discussions can become legally problematical. (y) If you aren't sure what's OK to post (almost anything is except discussions about specific breeders, or asking advice about breeding) the Getting Started section has all that type of general board information. :)

Thanks Karlin,

I just want to do the right thing by the dog and my family, it's a long time commitment and a big learning process. If someone wants to email me directly please feel free.

Cricket

You are right to look for suggestions! :) There's also lots of information on finding breeders here:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=11335

Even if you have some good recommendations, be sure you ask to see things like cardiologist heart certs.

There are some really questionable brokers of Irish cavaliers in the New York area so avoid them -- some of these have been successfully sued for selling sickly dogs. Be careful of anyone saying they are breeding from 'Irish champions' too. For that matter, reputable breeders will not be stating on websites that their dogs come from 'champion English or Irish lines', which is almost always a red flag. Have you contacted the ACKCSC and CKCSC for breeders who have puppies at the moment? They should be helpful as well. :)

Hello
When I started my search I went to www.ackcsc.com
There they have a list of breeders by state which I found very helpful. I contacted a number of them in the NJ area and spoke with a few until I found the one for me. I spoke with some very nice people who took the time out for me even if they didn't have puppies. And then they recommended me to other breeders that did have puppies. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Last edited:
All good advice. Whatever you do, don't make any fast decisions no matter how convenient the breeder, how nice they may seem, and how cute the puppies (they are ALL cute, but endless medical problems can make you sad you chose that puppy and that breeder, so make a careful investment of your money and emotions. (y)) and as I said, do not rely solely on someone else's recommendations. I know of someone who bought a dog from a convicted felon on a recommendation that this was a great breeder and cared so much about her dogs and they were all from such good lines! :yikes Well she was convicted by the US Dept of Justice on issues related to deceptive sales practices -- and has sold sickly puppies, some of which have actually died when with their new owners -- so do your research, research, research.

Thanks all for your help, still working on a puppy... I will fill you in with details once I know more.

Cricket

We love new puppy news so be sure to let us know when you find the right one and the right breeder! :dogwlk:

Back