• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My poor puppy

jld

My poor puppy has just endured over an hour of me trying to get little matted knots out from under her ears..... I thought I was doing a pretty good job of keeping her brushed and combed, but tonight when I was brushing her, I found quite a few tangled knots in the long hair under her ears. I had to use a comb to try to get them out, and I know it probably hurt. She just lay there and let me pull at them. She was such a little trooper. I ended up pulling out some of her hair along with the knots. She is my first long-haired dog, so I need advice on what are the best kind of brushes, combs, shampoo, detangler etc to use on her. If your cavs get those tangles, how do you get them out? She play wrestles with our pug all the time, so I think that is where she is getting them. The pug play bites her under her ears. Any recommendations and advice would be welcome. Dixie would appreciate it too. Thanks, Judy and Dixie

When Dylan didn't like his ears brushed, he's over that now, I found brushing them when they were covered in conditioner at bath time and easier way to tackle it. She sounds like she's not so sensitive about her ears so I'd get a slicker brush, far more thorough than a comb.

I use infusium leave in conditioner ..works like a dream..and makes them smell wonderful.

If you work cornstarch into the mats then comb them out that works well too. Some feel the rotating tooth combs work best on mats. I have a really small cat sized slicker brush which is really good for those ear mats. You have to watch those all the time -- they develop very quickly. I doubt playing with your pug adds anything to how fast they develop -- all cavaliers get them in that place and they are a pain! Under the arms is another bad place, as is around their hindquarters.

I use The Stuff spray in conditioner for dogs and it works really well at helping keep mats at bay -- they definitely do not develop as quickly. I sometimes spray a bit on a matt to work them out faster, too.

PS -- don't worry that an hour is unusually long for grooming -- it routinely takes me about that long once or twice a week per dog to work on mats on their coats.

PS -- don't worry that an hour is unusually long for grooming -- it routinely takes me about that long once or twice a week per dog to work on mats on their coats.

I use Groomers shampoo and conditioner and have only ever had two tiny mats. It takes me 5 minutes to brush Dylan and I usually do it once a week. I'm just wondering, maybe the conditioner is the key here. Everyone comments on how soft he is.

Thank you all so much. I am going to take your advice and see if I can find some of the products that you recommended. Karlin, I used the slicker brush on a few of the left-over mats, and it did work much better. I think I have them all out.....for NOW. I am definitely going to look into purchasing some good conditioner, and hopefully I can stay on top of the matting situation....thank goodness she is very tolerant. Thanks again. Judy and Dixie

At the moment we are using a puppy shampoo only. We use the slicker and a double sided brush on her even as though i feel the slicker is too hard on her, but we have more in the pack we bought. What kind of shampoo and conditioner do you recomend, her coat is good no mats yet.

Last edited:
Hi,
We have a de matting comb from a pet shop near us and it's amazing and slides through the matts. It is a curved comb which is sharp on the inside of the curve and smooth on the outside so it glides under the matting and I suppose cuts through the matting without removing anything unmatted. It's brilliant and my doggies have no problem with it... highly recommended!!

Back