• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My Marley LOVES to chew

Terri Voltz

I'd been giving him flat rawhide strips, 1 per day for a while. But he's a very proficient chewer and was getting the whole thing consumed (about 3x2x1/8") in about 10 minutes. It has been recommended to cease that practice immediately, which I've done. BUT NOW WHAT!?? He so loves to chew. I got him a big bone at the pet store, but what a mess. Just trying to keep him on his blanket is a chore and a half. Does anyone have any recommendations for something healty, harmless and preferably non-fattening? I've also been giving him a baby carrot in his kong, and he's slightly less than thrilled with that. We are both creatures of habit, and after his morning potty, he stares at me and says "ok lets have the goodie now"...and I am weak. Thanks-Terri

Have you thought about more synthetic options ?
Nylabone galileo, fido bone nylon tuff, dental kong etc etc ?

All of my dogs LOVE everything by Merrick...bully sticks, moo tubes, hooves, etc. The moo tubes go fast and are expensive but will keep him entertained for about 1/2 hour. The bully sticks will last about 2 hours for an avid chewer. The hooves? Weeks.

Check out their website...and all bully sticks are NOT the same! I tried another brand and they're still sitting around untouched.

http://www.merrickpetcare.com/

Not sure where you are, but you can find local specialty shops that carry their products or order them online from many places.

Good luck!

I divide Buddy's daily kibble allowance into thirds. He gets a third in the morning, a third at night with either raw carrots, green beans or apple and the other third I use for treats or activities, like reenforced training or in something like a Buster Cube or Treat Ball. I also take Kongs, spread a very thin layer of peanut butter or cream cheese (which is added calories so watch it) on the inside and freeze them. My "guys" will chew and suck on their Kongs for a long time with this. I also use very ripe mashed banana frozen in the Kong. Finally, see if your butcher will cut you small marrow bones. You can boil them and take the marrow out if you want, but I just put them in the freezer and give them frozen. There is not much meat on them, you need to watch the calories from the marrow but the ones I use are small and I do not give them except once a week or so. (I have to be careful because the small bones which work for Buddy are too small for Hadley. She chomped one in two and swallowed it. Luckily, it "passed.") Hope these ideas are helpful.

We have a big nylabone ring that Bailey can chew one forever, and he hasn't chewed threw it. Also a galileo bone for a medium sized dog instead of small keeps him busy. He loves to chew too :p

nylaring.jpg

nylagalileo.jpg

Back