• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Weeing in the bed ... HELP!!

emmawright

i know i have asked about this before but it keeps happening and it is getting very, very annoying!! Today i came down and both beds have been wee'd in and they are huge wee's, so i know it is bluebell, it always is! so now i am going to wash both beds and she will probably do it again next week! arrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

How can i stop this? its not like they have horrible beds, they are really nice faux sheepskin ones.... i know someone said that she is maybe trying to make the bed smell like her, but surely she doesn't need to wee in it!!!

i thought about getting 1 huge bed for them to share, to see if that makes a difference , but i think she will probably still do it.

??????

Have you had them tested for urinary tract infections? It really isn't normal for them to want to go in their beds. When dogs pee in their own beds this is probably the number one reason (no pun intended!). Or she isn;t getting the chance to fully empty her bladder before bedtime -- maybe lift water after 6pm.

I'd also suggest dumping the beds they keep weeing on -- after a while the scent is not going to disappear even if you are washing and using enzymatic cleaners. I'd use a plastic bed with maybe some newspaper lining it for a while or not even bother with newspaper --dogs are pretty happy on the floor as well. Mine often prefer lying on the floors to a bed as is. I'd wait a month or so then try a new bed. Maybe donate the ones you have to a rescue. If this is just a habit you need to break it be removing the thing totally that prompts the problem and then wait a good period of time to break the association entirely of a bed and urinating..

When Sally was only a few months old she weed in her bed a couple of times. We thought it was abnormal to wee the bed. I guessed she was weeing in her sleep! It was only a tiny amount. We mentioned it to the vet and he thought it was just a puppy thing. She soon grew out of it and never does anything in the house now. I hope Bluebell will grow out of this too.

ok thanks for the help, i never thought to take away the beds, i could do that and buy a a duvet maybe for them to sleep on with some blankets on top, i think i will try that. i don't think bluebell has a urinary problem, she used to do this when we had daisy, i wondered if it was a dominance thing. i will also lift the water earlier to see if that helps.

I'm sure this is frustrating. I hope she gets it figured out soon.

A frustrating, related experience: I've gotten Daisy two new beds since we've had her. Both times, she immediately jumps on them and pees! Of course, I grab her off and kind of freak out. So I immediately have to wash the stupid thing before she ever even sleeps on it. I'm assuming it's a marking thing.

Generally if she has peed on her bed, it's because the crate is too large and I have 2 beds in there, cross-wise. Then she decides that one will be fine to lay on, and one will be just fine to pee on. So when I removed one of the pads/beds, that stops that. We won a very large crate in a drawing from Petco's grand opening, so I set that one up and put her slightly smaller one away for travel. It's made for like a medium to large dog, maybe like a Springer spaniel. So I put two of her beds in there to fill up the floor space. Not a good idea, as I found out.

Good luck -- hopefully you'll find out the cause before it becomes a habit.

We sometimes have the same problem with Chloe, but I really believe she wees in her sleep as she is just too lazy to move. I have never known a dog who likes to sleep as much as her! (she;s perfectly healthy and is very active when she wants to be) but can also be a real lazy bones just like her daddy:)

This has happened a few times with Cessa. The first time was when we had a friend over for dinner, she hopped up in the armchair that he had been sitting in when he got up and peed right on a pillow that was sitting in the armchair. The next night she peed in the bed (and she sleeps in our bed)! A few days later she peed in her basket, the day after another dog was here playing with her and the other dog made herself at home in Cessa's basket.

We've ruled out a urinary infection because other than those times, she hasn't peed in the house in months.

Even though she's a she, several people have told us that it could very well be a territorial thing, and when she peed in the bed, she may have just peed in her sleep.

After each time, we wash everything thoroughly (thank goodness for mattress pads) and it doesn't happen there again.

I had several dog beds and one in particular she would pee in. I did wash it a few times but she would still pee in it. I finally threw it away she doesn't pee in the others. may just be something exrta special about that sheepskin. half the time mine likes to sleep on the floor.

We've been really lucky, we got a crate for candi and decided to cover the bottom of it with old pillows( ones that we used and didnt want), we then covered the pillows with toilet training pads, she never done the toilet once on them. We then bought 2 medium size dog cushions, 1 to put in the living room for her and the other to replace the pillows in the crate. So far so good, she has been really really good for us.:D

Don't know if it has anything to do with it but the pillows and the cushions, even her wee blankets we all lay on them or either covered ourselves with them, so to put our scent on them, to make it easier for candi to settle. I got told that a long time ago if you put your scent on their bedding etc it helps them to settle in, sleep better, and not wee on their bedding.

Last edited:
Is she doing this while she is awake or in her sleep? If she is doing it in her sleep, she may have a type of urinary incontinence which a small but not insignificant percentage of spayed dogs have. It can effectively be controlled with medication. My Clumber Spaniel has this. She was spayed at six months and did not develop any problems until she was three. She then started urinating while she was in a dead sleep. We tired limiting water in the evenings, etc. and finally had to put her on a medication (Proin). We had to work on the right dose for her, but now we have no problems. Both Hadley and Buddy sleep with me and the first time it happened I thought it was Buddy because when the weather is bad it is very difficult to get him to go outside. He tries to fake it and run back in as fast as he can!

I would throw the beds out, check for UTI and, if she is doing it in her sleep, talk to the Vet about incontinence.

Last edited:
My cav did the same thing. Not to often, but once and a while she wakes up in the middle of the night and pees on her bed. She's starting to learn that it's wrong now.

TAKE THEM IMMEDIATELY IN for bloodwork BUN and Cretinine and phosphate.

this is a medical emergency you need to rule out urgently as these were the exact signs of our little Emma who is now in the critical care ICU. She was so thirsty and peeing and starting vomiting a day later. Severe uremia with BUN of 345 and creatinine of 9. If these are high, also get ultrasound. There is actually a condition called juvenille renal dysplasia. please email me. i am actually a medical student in the us. we are considering dialysis treatment for our little emma.

this is a medical emergency you need to rule out urgently as these were the exact signs of our little Emma who is now in the critical care ICU. She was so thirsty and peeing and starting vomiting a day later. Severe uremia with BUN of 345 and creatinine of 9. If these are high, also get ultrasound. There is actually a condition called juvenille renal dysplasia. please email me. i am actually a medical student in the us. we are considering dialysis treatment for our little emma.

That's Scary :(

is it "faux" or real sheepfur?

I have found that puppies tend to pee on real wool, or animal skins. My pup peed on his shearling bed and so I took it away. My adults don't do this. But I do remember a time when my Casey was a pup, we went to my in-laws house and they had this real fur "rug" and she peed all over it without us knowing until after the fact! It was really embarrassing. Anyway, if it's real fur maybe she knows! Also I think that's why they tend to pee on wool area rugs (which was a huge problem for me recently).

But, hey, I could be completely off here!

I have found that puppies tend to pee on real wool, or animal skins. My pup peed on his shearling bed and so I took it away. My adults don't do this. But I do remember a time when my Casey was a pup, we went to my in-laws house and they had this real fur "rug" and she peed all over it without us knowing until after the fact! It was really embarrassing. Anyway, if it's real fur maybe she knows! Also I think that's why they tend to pee on wool area rugs (which was a huge problem for me recently).

But, hey, I could be completely off here!

I had a sheepskin rug that Merlin used to pee on, as soon as it was washed and put back down - he would pee on it again. Oakley did the same thing with it, so it got thrown out!

I had a sheepskin rug that Merlin used to pee on, as soon as it was washed and put back down - he would pee on it again. Oakley did the same thing with it, so it got thrown out!

i think you have a point there, as we used to have a skeepskin blanket for them to lie on and it did get peed on a lot, i have since got rid of the beds, put down our old duvet and blankets on top... so far, so good.

Just thought i would let you all know, that bluebell has not had an accident in her bed now for about a week, turns out i wasn't letting her out enough before bed, she now goes out every hour and then again before bed, plus i lift her water up earlier. so we are very pleased.

Back