View Full Version : Grooming between pads of feet

10th January 2008, 01:03 AM
Hi Everyone!
I know we aren't supposed to trim their mops but what is the easiest way to trim between the pads of their feet and what all am I supposed to trim? I've just been using some small snippers but they don't want to be still and I've just been trimming what I can between the pads of their feet. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

10th January 2008, 02:27 PM
I'm guessing no one trims their pups feet between their paws? :confused::confused::confused:

10th January 2008, 02:37 PM
Between their pads- no. I cut the hair flush with their pads with pet trimmers. It takes like three swipes of the trimmers.

10th January 2008, 02:45 PM
yes its fine to trim pads its the only trimming we are allowed to do

easiest way to stand your dog on a surface /grooming table and tilt foot back like putting shoes on a horse ..then trim tufts from pads

its easier if someone holds when you trim :)

10th January 2008, 03:02 PM
When I trim Rosie's feet, she lies on her back on my lap and lets me snip away - I have never cut the hair between the pads, only flush with the pad (didn't want to accidentally cut her!)

I usually use a small pair of hair cutting scissors and they do the job perfectly.

Rosie has very tickilish feet but surprisingly lets me trim the hair with no problems at all - I think she just lurves the attention (and the sweetie afterwards for being a good girl:D)

10th January 2008, 03:53 PM
I use a small electric clipper to shave the hair between Amber's pads - It keeps the ice balls from forming between her toes in the winter and makes it so less mud and snow and stuff gets tracked into the house.

10th January 2008, 04:37 PM
I get this done flush, not between the pads, by a groomer for £5.

10th January 2008, 06:34 PM
I take Kingston to a groomer who uses an electric razor to trim between the pads. It costs me about $5 bucks.

10th January 2008, 06:46 PM
I do this myself with an electric clippers. Molly is great because she just lies there lapping up the attention but Bella is more of a wriggler :D

Claire L
11th January 2008, 09:28 PM
I use a small scissors and just trim flush with the pads. The scissors blades dont come to a point; they are rounded at the tip so as not to cause any damage in case the dog wriggles :)

11th January 2008, 11:01 PM
I use a pair of scissors to cut the hair between the pads. Josy lies on her back on my lap. I fondle her a little bit, and so I can cut the claw and the hair. From time to time I fondle her again. She is sleeping all the time.
I only cut the hair in the winter time, because of the ice-balls.

13th January 2008, 10:32 PM
Yep, I trim between the toes. I use a men's beard trimmer as it is smaller, lighter & less noisy that a full on set of clippers. My boys fall asleep on my lap when I am doing it. I don't get too carried away with the in between toes area, just mainly trim everything flush with the pads & then lightly trim any big boofy areas out from between the toes.

14th January 2008, 08:32 AM
I use a small scissors and trim flush with the pads.

14th January 2008, 10:05 AM
Since I'm allways so scared of cutting them with the scissors I usually use a batterydriven shvavingmaschine.(an old one I stole from my hubby:cool:)
It took a few times for the girls to get used to the sound of it but today it´s no longer a problem.