• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Wish Lucy Luck!

elaine181000

Wish Lucy Luck! - Updated

Hi everyone,

I don't post often but I do browse, especially the puppy pictures (whenever I'm having a bad day I know just where to head to cheer myself up!).

Anyway, some of you may remember a post from Lucy's last cardiologist visit, last July:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=19407

Well, she's done well since then, with a couple of minor blips but nothing to worry about. Today is her 6-monthly cardiologist visit, she gets a heart scan, x-ray, blood tests and such. We dropped her off this morning and the cardiologist was really pleased on initial examination - when he came out to reception to get her, he smiled and said, "where's my bionic dog?". He said he's very encouraged - her hearbeat is much more regular (he added a med last year to help with that), her weight is good, condition is excellent. I'm a bit worried about her teeth, but he says he'll speak to the other vets and get a gel for us to put on her teeth. I'm trying not to get my hopes up but he was very positive :)

We're picking her up at 5:30, or earlier if we can make it. Wish us - and Lucy - luck!!!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! I'm getting nervous, we're leaving in ten minutes to pick her up and get the results. Fingers crossed!! :) xx

Well we're back .....

Lucy's condition has *mildly* deteriorated in the last 6 months. Her heart is a little larger, and has changed shape (it was elongated, now it's round!) but it's still a lot smaller than he expected, given how long she's been in CHF for. Her lungs are clear, her weight perfect. Her heart beat is regular again (thanks to the drug he prescribed last year). He said he thinks we'll have her for a while yet. He was "astounded" (his word!) to see her xrays and he was overall, very pleased. Needless to say we are just ecstatic! There's no change to her meds or anything at all, just to monitor her coughing and to note if she seems breathless (she hasn't so far). Something in her kidneys was slightly elevated but he says that's to be expected as well, given the meds and how long she's been on them. But it's not bad enough to need treatment at this stage.

We're just so happy to have gotten good news again. The condition is progressing, but very slowly. She's been in CHF now for 18 months, and still going strong. This morning he said, "she's far outdone my expectations" ... when we got the prognosis 18 months ago we thought that was it, game over. But our little dog wasn't ready to give up just yet. ;)

I'm feeling very emotional because I can't believe we're this lucky. He called her his "bionic dog" and I love that, it really made me smile because, well, it's true!! Our little miracle dog. :)

With a (happy) lump in my throat,

Hi Elaine,

I have a Lucy as well, 9 yrs old with a grade 6 murmer. Her condition is much the same as your lovely girl.....and she also amazes us on a daily basis as well. When I took her as a rescue last January her outlook was quite bleak with her bad health but what a turn around for this little girl, she bloomed and blossomed and never looked backwards.

The week before this Christmas however she suffered a stroke, something that is not very comman in a dog our vet told us. It has taken time and alot of care but she came through it much to our great relief. We were so worried about the heart condition during this but she has remained stable with no further deterioration, our vet like yours is just amazed at her progress.

Elaine I think it's true to say that we have two very "Lucky Lucys" between us!

Alison.

Thanks Kirsty, we're just chuffed to bits! What a turnaround from 18 months ago!! :)

Alison - that is freaky! So I guess the moral of the story is to call your dog Lucy then? LOL. It's like every time we go to see the cardiologist I'm panicking like mad, then he says there's only been a mild deterioration and I can't quite get my head round our good luck.

How awful about your Lucy having a stroke, but I'm glad to hear she's well again. You must have gotten a horrible scare. I always worry when she gets ill because I know her heart isn't really that strong and I panic.

Keep in touch, I'd love to hear how your Lucy is doing :)

Back