• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What do i do?

Harry & Heidi's mom

Hi,

As most of you know, we brought Heidi home yesterday and she's lush.

However i need some advice regarding toilet training her.

When Heidi needs to go she runs around and i know thats when she needs to go so i take her outside, however Harry will not leave her alone so she comes back inside and does her business inside.
If i make Harry stay inside when she goes out he goes nuts, so do i leave him inside or take him out with us in the hope that he'll leave her alone long enough to go wee??

I don't want harry feeling left out

Hi, I just noticed your post. There isn't nearly the traffic in these subcategory postings. I'm sorry no one has replied to you yet.

I don't know if you are taking them both out on a leash or if you have a fence, etc. But I would definitely do whatever needed to be done to keep Harry from bothering her in her important job. Whether that means putting him on a leash while she's off-leash, leaving him crated inside, etc. Having an adult, already-trained dog around is supposed to help housetraining, but it sounds like Harry is being more of a hindrance.

It sounds like she's doing a great job of giving you cues that she needs to go out, so you're well on the way if you can figure out a way to give her some peace outside to do her business.

You've probably already figured something out or made more progress by now since this post is a month old, but I thought I'd reply anyway. I remember those challenging puppy housetraining days! Going outside for 20 minutes and then having her come in and pee on the floor 30 seconds later -- good times! :(

Good luck to you!

Hi,

As most of you know, we brought Heidi home yesterday and she's lush.

However i need some advice regarding toilet training her.

When Heidi needs to go she runs around and i know thats when she needs to go so i take her outside, however Harry will not leave her alone so she comes back inside and does her business inside.
If i make Harry stay inside when she goes out he goes nuts, so do i leave him inside or take him out with us in the hope that he'll leave her alone long enough to go wee??

I don't want harry feeling left out

Perhaps get Harry to sit-stay for a treat whilst Heidi goes potty and then reward them both when she's finished?

Whether that means putting him on a leash while she's off-leash

Exactly the first thing that came to mind! I bet that will help if she can "go" without being bugged.

Pick Harry up ? If I produced a treat for a sit and stay the other one would not go due to the distraction of the treat ? Or if you have time let them sort it out themselves eventually the novelty will wear off ?

I had the exact same problem last week, when we brought home an 11 week old puppy! Our 10 month old would not leave him alone, and when they went outside to go to the bathroom, the older one would not leave the little one alone to do his business! I started taking the little one out by himself for a few days. I found that after just a few days, the older one lost interest and didn't bother the puppy anymore : ) Good luck!

I have the same issue

I bring all of the dogs out at the same time, but once the older two have done their thing, they go back in so the puppy can get to business. Once he realizes there's no one around to play with he gets the job done. And if not? He goes right back in the crate.

Back