• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

guess what i saw today

Id say there prob was a little bit of tan on her somewhere, as i dont think u can get pure bred b/w cavs. Unless poor breeding. just a guess.

is there a reason why black and white only would be an inferior cavalier ("bad breeding")? sometimes the pure-bred standards thing greatly confuses me.

is there a reason why black and white only would be an inferior cavalier
i suppose maybe in a show sense they might be considered inferior. this one however was adorable and very friendly. i think its owner called it archie

it would be called a mismarked tri colour or a mismarked ( with white black and tan ) .....but i'm sure he was cute

not mismarked

its a recessive trait that isn't a show standard. actually you would be disqualified for show if it was any color other than the standard 4 but other colors do exist from long genetic lines of recessive traits. nothing wrong with the dog, just a rare color.

I'm getting an all black cav pup in a week :)

To be honest, I'd avoid getting an all black cavalier from 99.99999% of 'breeders' because no reputable, health focused breeder breeds for these colours, and the backyard breeders who do breed them, tend to charge a lot claiming these colours are somehow special. They aren't.

I am just wondering if the breeder was selling these dogs citing their special colouring as a GOOD thing, or is she a reputable show breeder selling them on a strict spay/neuter clause to a pet home because this is an unexpected recessive trait that is considered undesireable to reproduce? I have seen the websites of a couple of people who breed, deliberately, for black cavaliers and sadly, none of them show, follow the very important MVD breeding protocol, test eyes, hips, patellas. MRI screen for syringomyelia... indeed some even advertise especially small black cavaliers which is deliberately breeding with no regard for health because miniaturisation means someone is breeding runts and substandard dogs. Right now, breeding for extra small dogs is already known to predispose them to smaller skulls which in turn is probably predisposing for the potentially severely painful condition syringomyelia.

I'd be very careful about taking a puppy from anyone who isn;t following strict health guidelines and isn't a show breeder who actually understands genetics and the serious health issues that are so easily introduced into this breed. If the breeder fits all the criteria for an excellent breeder and this is just a pup that is unexpectedly black, that is of course a different situation. :)

its a recessive trait that isn't a show standard. actually you would be disqualified for show if it was any color other than the standard 4 but other colors do exist from long genetic lines of recessive traits. nothing wrong with the dog, just a rare color.

I'm getting an all black cav pup in a week :)

IMO This would be much 'rarer' than a mismark (like clown face, or blanket tris). I would wonder what the parents looked like and what the pedigree was.

I would to. I'm not saying that a black and white cavalier isn't as good, but personally I'd never get one from anyone but rescue! The other problem with a black/white that I could see is that because it is a recessive gene, I would assume they'd be more prone to other health problems as well. Seems like dogs that end up with alot of recessive genes also face alot more health problems in their life.

Back