• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pigs Ears

clark67

Has anyone given these to their dogs? We used to give them to our labrador and he loved them. We bought some at the weekend to give to Harvey and he loves chewing them but also walks off with it in his mouth making a crying sound anyone know why? Are these not good for this breed of dog. This has worried me now that i've given him something that isn't good for him. He's 9 months old.

Before we got the Cavaliers, we gave a LOT of these to the dogs. Beauregard thinks ALL of the treats should be his... and for his safety we quit. Missy could easily hurt him badly when he tried to take hers away... and he would. The other dogs would all be fine... but Beau has ruined it for them. :mad:

A whole ear is way too fatty and large for a cavalier IMHO. One ear is about the size of what I feed my dogs for the entire DAY! If you want to give these as treats I'd go for the ear pieces which you can get mail order from many places and in many pet shops. But because these are so fatty and cavaliers are small dogs predisposed to obesity as is, I'd go for bully sticks, dried tripe, dried meat, or something a bit more healtghy. Pig's ears are so fatty they give every one of my dogs the runs as well. :eek:

The noises are just those happy noises of dogs with a treat, I think. But personally, I'd not give these particular treats.

I really like the range of treats on Zooplus (the UK site is www.zooplus.co.uk). The neck sinews and various dried meat treats and pizzle sticks/bully sticks last a long time. I get the pizzle stick pieces and sinew pieces amongst others. These are very low in fat and very digestible.

These worry me in the same way as hide chews. like many other dogs, monty has twice choked on them, after swallowing a largish piece. Another thing to beware is imports from the Far East, as the chemicals used in the processing are not as strictly governed as in other areas.

I have to say that Ashton loves these and his weight certainly isn't a problem although he doesn't have them regularly and it does take him a couple of days to eat!:D

My guys love the pigs ears too, but like Karlin's Cavaliers, mine get the runs if they have a whole one, so I only give them a small strip.

Hey JeanKC, there is no reason why your dogs can not have the treats they used to. If you use an x-pen or some other divider when you are giving treats, you don't have to worry about anybody getting injured. I always separate my dogs when they get long lasting treats so that they don't try to steal each others.

My two love them as well. Amber goes into demolition mode and usually polishes the whole thing off in an hour. Holly takes longer. I feed them very rarely partly because I personally find them squicky, and partly because I know they're high in fat. You can get 'pig's ears' in the normal white rawhide in a triangle shape, though. I wouldn't give that often either because Amber's such a fast chewer I;m terrified of her choking on a bit. The only rawhide I'm happy to leave is the big bits that have been rolled into a cigar shape. Those last for the best part of a week per dog, so they're great.

One pigs ear each and they are amused all night long which is lovely. Then during the night they are awake 5 times in the night with diahorrea. Did it twice and never again!.. they just get bones now which aren't as tasty but they still do the trick...

We give Sofee Marie lambs ears, which she is somewhat interested in. She usually hides them a couple of time during the evening. Her idea of hiding is placing it gently in the corner of a room, probably so she can find it again easily! She may end up eating 1-2 a week. They almost have no smell and never give her problems with her stomach.
What works well to keep her busy is freezing a kong filled with nonfat yogurt mixed with a little diced wet dog food (I use Merrick). She loves that and I get about 20-30 minutes of peace!

I gave a pigs ear once to my dogs. Lila the schnauzer couldn't get it down fast enough. Missy the cav wouldn't touch it!! I just felt so mean to the pigs. I'm not a vegetarian but they just look so real with veins in and everything (I know they ARE real!!). It made me too squeamish to ever try them again!!! :rolleyes:

My 10 month old cav LOVES pig ears. She doesn't get them very often. Probably 1 every 2 months... Anyways, she has always loved them. It used to take her a whole day to eat. Now she downs it in no more than 15 minutes. I don't ever remember her having the runs after eating them

My 4 month cavalier, however... licks it for a bit and then gives up. He isn't a good chewer (unless of course it is my woodwork he is chewing on, ha). So maybe that is why.

It's funny that this thread was posted because I ordered Low-fat pig ears for the very first time for Daisy and received them last week. They say they are the low fat version because the thick ends are trimmed off or something.

At first, she just carried it away and dropped it, and then eventually, she chewed a little bit off the edges, but she hasn't touched it since then. It's not something I would give her very often, especially since she needs to lose weight.

I did the cow hoof thing once, and although she liked it, I could not stand the smell! I mean it was bad, as in I could smell it across the room! I had no idea those things would be smelly, especially as she is chewing them and they are getting moist! That thing went in the outside trashcan after a couple of days! It was a while ago, but if I recall correctly, the smell was something like the smell of burning hair mixed with manure -- not pleasant!

Mine love pigs ears, cows ears, tracheas, bully sticks, basically anything that zooplus or similar places sell, the only thing that caused stomach upsets were the roasted bones. There's a bag of cows ears in the downstairs bedroom at the moment and the cavs are sleeping with one eye open the whole time in case I make a move in the direction of that room:rolleyes:

Have you ever tried ostrich or venison-chews? I think they are great! Very low in fat, tasty and - as to my dogs - easy to digest. It´s just the Alsacian who still gets a pig-ear every now and than (he needs some "rips filling-up").

The other week I let the whole lot make their choice... the ALL went for the ostrich instead of the pig-ear!

Back