• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My search for a PUP, shedding allergies and the like...

cricket865

Hi all,

Just wanted to update you all on my search for a Cavalier pup. I live in NYC with my hubby and two daughters (12 and 9) with currently own a chocolate lab mix :dogwlk:that we rescued shortly after 9/11. Now I feel the need to get a new dog and I know my lab will love the company.

I did ALOT of research online and fell in LOVE :lotsaluv:with the cavaliers. I have met one breeder who has a litter of 4 pups and I am meeting another one this week.

I have a question concerning allergies, I am allergic to cats. :c*t: I dont think I am allergic to cavaliers, due to the fact that last week I spent an hour with the first breeder and she has 4 grown dogs plus the puppies.

So I have 2 questions:

Any other cat allergy sufferers out there who have no issues living with the cavaliers?

I also would like to keep shedding to a minimum. Besides diligent vacumming any other recommendations?

:thnx:
Cristina

I am VERY allergic to cats. I can usually tell within moments if people have a cat (due to symptoms). I sleep with cavaliers and don't have the least bit of problem.

Cavalier do shed, some worse than others. Brushing does help-- a good vacuum helps.

A dog allergy is an entirely different allergy than a cat allergy -- but many people allergic to hair and dander of cats are also allergic to hair and dander of dogs.

Shedding hair is generally not the issue -- it is shedding dead skin (dander). A cavalier is not a low-shed breed (but then neither is a lab). If you aren't reactive to a lab though, you are not allergic to dogs (you are very unlikely to be allergic to particular breeds). The hair length isn't going to matter. Labs shed a huge amount -- probably more than cavaliers, in their own way.

A brief visit with dogs isn't likely to expose anything but a severe allergy. Also many allrgies develop due to cross-exposure. The more dogs, the more likely a hidden dog allergy will surface.

If this has the potential to be a big problem, then consider looking very thoroughly into managing a household with animals where there are allergy sufferers. It can be done and levels of allergies can vary hugely. On the flip side, one of the regular reasons I get cavaliers into rescue is allergies that gradually emerge over time. The 8 month old cavalier I just rehomed was rehomed for this reason -- a child slowly developed a severe allergy over 6 months and was having excema and other problems due to the dog.

To keep shedding to a minimum, have your dog regularly groomed and bathed, either by yourself or a groomer. Brush daily. But be aware that cavaliers do shed quite a bit and tha you can take steps to minimise this -- but the hair will be a lot more noticeable probably than the lab's hair as it forms tumbleweeds on the floor! (y)

sometimes I think I could make a whole new dog from the fur I vac up! Some times of year far worse than others! Dont get a cav and then get a plain carpet- it will drive you demented!

Count me in as someone who is allergic to cats (hives, shortness of breath, messed up eyes, etc.) who has no problem at all with Cavaliers -- yeahh!!!

Daisy sheds like crazy, but as others have said, I guess not all Cavaliers shed as much as she does. She seems to shed fairly sigificantly all year, but worse in the Spring and Fall. I brush her almost every evening, but that doesn't stop the shedding, unfortunately. There are times in the year when I worry that she will be bald! A couple of times, so much of her hair fell out over the course of a couple of weeks that you could see some of her freckles on her skin through her hair. Then she puts on a bunch of coat (while still shedding though) and her hair is very thick again. My husband was holding her and petting her on the porch a couple of days ago, and little clouds of white hair were wafting off her back as he stroked.

So if lots of hair is a problem (it actually kind of is to me, but I've learned to live with it because I love her so much), then that's something to think about. I use lots of lint roller tape, vacuum often, and brush her often. I can deal with it, but it is a problem when I wear a black wool coat and it is covered in white hair.

I have to say that in contrast to the other people here, our blenheim Missy, doesn't seem to shed much at all. We brush her most days though so we probably get most of it out that way.

We had a foster lab for a while, and I have to say that the lab was FAR worse than Missy anyday!!! So, if you can tolerate a lab, a cavalier will probably be a walk in the park!!:)

I'm allergic to cats and some dogs,cat saliva actually.I sleep with two cavs with no problem.Well maybe a small problem-fighting over the pillow.

Our Bud Bud does not shed that much and actually our Clumber does not either "relatively speaking." Both our dogs go to a professional groomer once a month and get brushed and combed about two times a week by me. After having both an American Cocker (high maintenance) and an English Cocker (medium high maintenance), I find my Cavalier is not that much work. BUT he does not have an heavy a coat as I have seen on some dogs. You will find you need to comb and brush more than your Lab but the shedding may not be that bad.

I'm very allergic to cats and mildly allergic to dogs so was very worried when we got Bella.

However, I am able to keep allergies in check by not allowing dander near my eyes (washing hands after holding her) and washing my face as soon as she licks it. Vacuuming is good for asthma too.

I am very allergic to cats and many other things (I do allergy shots). My boys don't bother me too much at all. I find that it is more the things that get on their fur in the summer from outside that gives me a reaction, but the most I need is a benedryl before bedtime. If you were good at the breeders, I suspect you will do just fine.

Good luck!

^^ I do allergy shots too! (had one yesterday and the nurse did it very badly so it hurt heaps and bled a lot!)

I think they really help.

MY hubby is really allergic to cats! When we were condo-hunting years ago, he knew right away by going into the house, if there were cats. With Wrigley, our cav, my hubby's just fine! I will say though that be prepared for hair EVERYWHERE and get yourself a swiffer. Swiffer daily and make sure you get your Cav groomed! Best of luck finding your dream puppy!

PS-I also had to get rid of my guinea pig when we got married because the hubby was really allergic to that, too!!!!!

People who are allergic to cats respond to the SALIVA from the cat(it licks itself and proteins in the saliva sticks to the coat and can provoke allergis reations) So you may tolerate dogs even if you are allergic to cats :)

Back