• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

rabbit mites soooooo annoying!!!

amia

nina has been scratching and has had terrible flaky skin so i took her to the vet last week.the vet did a skin scrape and found 3 eggs from this rabbit mite(cheyletiella) but no adults mites so she gave me frontline spray to spray all our dogs with.a week on there is still know change and nina is itching like mad and Ive noticed our other dogs scratching too.im really annoyed because we thought this would of solved the problem!!all i can think is maybe i didn't put enough on or something???

has anyone had this problem and what treament did you use??

the vet is going to phone the frontline company to see if the spot on would work so I'm waiting to find out.

these mites are driving poor nina crazy so i just want to get rid of them soon as possible for her.

advise seriously welcome XXXXXXXX

One of my grooming customers canceled last month because their cavs had rabbit mites. must be something going around the area.
their vet gave them a special shampoo they had to be washed in for 4 weeks

Whatever you do, don't respray Nina right away with Frontline. The spray is very strong and an overdose could make an animal seriously ill and can even be fatal (to cats at least, don't know about dogs). I'd look into the shampoo but only do further treatment on Nina in consultation with your vet. All the dogs (and cats) should have been treated, which you did -- they are highly contagious and usually vets will tell you to treat every animal in the house, wash all bedding in boiling water, scrub down plastic beds etc, and use flea spray throughout the house. They can live for up to two weeks off the host so you may well have had them move to the other animals.

Usually dogs will keep scratching for quite some time after being treated because the skin is so irritated. It can take a couple of weeks to clear up. You may now need to treat the environment too or you'll be likely to be repeatedly reinfested with the little nuisances. Only the spray works on them, not the drops.

See: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1589&articleid=725
http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/showarticle.cfm?id=343

thanx for replying everyone.

AT i think it must be going around.i think she may have got them at the vets when she went for her dry eye problem.

karlin do you know why the spot on doesnt work??i was hoping it would have been alot more easier.lol.

ill look into the shampoo im willing to try anything to get rid of them.i seriously hate them lol!!

I recently had to change to Stronghold for both the cats and the dogs as the Frontline wasn't working anymore in our area (Portsmouth). Maybe you are having a similar problem?!:(

hi theresa the frontline definitely hasnt worked.i wonder why?the vet seemed puzzled too.how long did the stronghold take to work??

Back