• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Homemade sweet potato chews

I would like to have a go at making some sweet potato chews for sally. How are they going? Could you let us know how you've done it?

Here are 2 recipes on how to make the Sweet Potato (Yam) chews. One in the oven and the other with a food dehydrator. I haven't tried either one, but am saving them for when I am adventurous. At present, I buy Sam's Yams instead. No fuss, but definitely more money than doing it yourself.

Dog Recipes for Dried Yams

Anyways, I found a recipe that doesn't require a dehydrator; you just use your oven.
Wash a yam (the really orange variety) and cut down the middle lengthwise.
Then cut long, lengthwise slices about 1/3 inch wide and place them on a single layer on a cookie sheet. [I would use parchment paper or non stick foil if your cookie sheet isn't non stick]
Put in the oven at 250 degrees for about 3 hours. This leaves them kind of chewy, but you could also bake them a little longer to get them crunchy.

Here is the "recipe" for the Yams using a food dehydrator.
Slice the potatoes on a mandolin slicer and place 6 racks in the dehydrator.
Depending on the time of year, it takes 4 to 8 hours to dry them out.
You can do the same thing in the oven at 200 degrees or less but it takes longer.
(The mandolin slicer will help you have more uniform slices.)

So it's 7am and I have woken up to more crunchy then chewy, but I'm waiting to see what they do once they've cooled.I sliced mine length wise and laid them in the dehydrator that my grandma found at either a resale shop or a rummage sale. Maybe I'll take pics of them after work. I've tried them in the oven before but I didn't like letting my oven be on for that long.

No, they won't last anything like the time a rawhide will. They are more like quick chew treats.

For non US people these are actually sweet potatoes; Tesco carries them. I am sure actual yams would work too (you can get them in some African markets in Dublin) but what are called yams by us Yanks are not actually real yams (always a point of confusion!). :lol:

Yes, this confused me. Especially since I was in the Chinese warehouse across the road from me looking for sweet potato for soup, and found them labelled 'Yams'. Only they were sweet potatoes. Definitely sweet potato... Why do Americans call them Yams? It always sounds very Gone With the Wind-ish to me.

Back