• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Has this ever happened to you?

CavyMom

Amber scared me to death yesterday! I let the dogs out to go potty, turned around for 1 minute to answer the phone, and then let the dogs back in, quickly realizing Amber wasn't there! I panicked and searched EVERYWHERE for her!! We have a shed the dogs can go into if they want, and also a picnic table on the patio that's mostly covered by snow. I couldn't figure out where Amber was, but while searching the shed, she suddenly appeared behind me, so I don't know if she was in the shed the whole time, or if she'd been under the picnic table, or where she was, but boy did it worry me sick thinking she'd somehow gotten out and disappeared!!!!!

Oh yes ,I had a scare the other day too.
I went out with the garbage and thought I had closed the door safely behind me.Then I came inn again and 10 minutes later when I called for Elja she didnt come,only Silva.
I searched the entire house,garage,garden everywhere,but no Elja.
Boy was I scared.At that point I knew she was OUTSIDE somewhere ,so I opened the door and guess who sat rihgt in front of the door:Elja and she looked very misserable,(had probably heard me called and yell a thousand times and could'nt come to me)

You really know just HOW much you love your dog when something like this happens:D

Isn't that the truth? From now on I don't care if the phone rings - Either the dogs come in BEFORE I answer the phone, or they can just leave a message! After loosing one dog because my roomate let her out and didn't watch her while I was at work, I don't want to take the chance of that happening again! I must admit, my worst fear in the world is to have another one of my furkids just vanish like Heather did! It's hard enough to loose them to disease or injury, but to have them just disappear out of your life without a trace.....It's probably the hardest thing I've ever had to come to terms with! You just never stop looking!

I'm so sorry about Heather, cavymom. That is just awful. Like you say, you would always be wondering where they are. I hope she is with someone really kind.

I hope you don't mind but I wanted to talk to someone about something that happened to me today.

I had a horrible scare. The dogs and I were walking off lead in the country and when we were about 100 yards from the road I was about to put their leads on when Missy just took off after a bird and ran straight across the road. She then proceeded to chase said bird back out into the road again. Luckily it was not very busy and there were no cars at that precise moment. I was trying to scoop up the other dog and chase her all at the same time. What upset me most though was that when I first got her (age 4 from a couple who 'didn't have enough time for her anymore') she would never have ignored my call but now I can shout till I'm blue in the face and she just ignores me.

We were thinking about maybe taking on another rescue dog but today has made me feel like a really bad dog owner.....:(

Ya, I know what you mean. I'm glad things turned out good for you! It's so scary when they don't listen when it really matters! I never let my dogs off leash outside of a securely fenced yard, mainly from habit, I've had sighthounds (whippets, greyhounds, and0 italian greyhounds) most of my life, so it's just kind of 2nd nature, but there's been a time or two that one of my dogs has gotten out the front door and wouldn't come when I called! It's one of the scariest things you can ever face as a doggy mom!

I haven't ever had a dog disappear, thankfully, but I do know the feeling of not being able to find one of them. Sometimes it's funny- before I got Amber, Holly had the run of the house and would follow me into rooms without me realising and then get shut in when I closed the door. I remember calling and calling and eventually she started barking back at me and that's when I twigged. Silly Amber also got shut up in my parents' garage by accident from doing the same thing... only she didn't make a peep, simply waited for me to release her!

. Silly Amber also got shut up in my parents' garage by accident from doing the same thing... only she didn't make a peep, simply waited for me to release her!

Must be something to do with the name Amber, I had the same thing happen with my Amber she must have followed my OH into the garage, I was calling and searching for ages and she never once barked, she`s always getting locked in my daughters bedroom she has a cosy corner in there she likes to sleep in.

We let our dogs out to toilet one night and after they were let back in we couldn't find Pippin anywhere.I was sure I let him back in but we searched the whole house calling his name to no avail. My son even looked out in the street although they are never allowed out there off lead and there is no way out there from the back garden...locked gate and 7 foot walls! I concluded that he didn't come in with Gus when I thought and someone must have jumped the wall and took him. I was really upset and started crying.My husband tried to calm me down and reassure me by asking me when I'd seen him last. I said I thought I'd seen him 20 minutes earlier when I opened the door to let them in while in the middle of drying pots and pans and putting them away. I proceeded to demonstrate......opened the press..and there he was sitting looking at me..( he's very small!) We had been calling, shouting,crying,panicking...total bedlam in the kitchen 2 feet from the press and he never even barked or made a sound.He's often got closed in rooms as we went in and out and barks to let us know..Do you think he was playing hide and seek! It gave me a real scare.

I know just how you feel - New Years Eve we were at a family party (both Cinders & Minnie were also invited). Lots of people went home all together and no-one noticed Minnie escaping with them. It was about 15 minutes later I realised I hadn't seen her for a while, we searched my brother in laws house calling her - then he opened the front door (saying as he did that he was watching out when people left) and there was Minnie sitting there with a look on her face as if to say "what took you so long, its cold and noisy out here!!!. Well I was so relieved.

I can imagine, I would have been freaked out!!!!!!!!!!! I remember when I got my first little dog, and Hannah was horrible about sneaking into tiny places, like the video cabinet or a closet, and I'd panick searching the house for her!

I have to add to this. My baby was eating her dinner yesterday and I asked my son to get something out of our walk-in closet. My husband took out the trash and we all thought Molly was still eating. So then about 5 minutes later we sat down to dinner and no Molly. Which of course is strange cause she never misses dinner (hers or ours). We were in a panick. Did she run out behind my husband, was she in her crate, upstairs or ? She was in the closet. Quiet as a mouse when we called her name too. I can't believe we didn't see her go in, but there she was. Ah, the trials of motherhood.

*g* The weekend before new year, we had my uncle, his wife, my cousins, and their (very spoilt) shih-tzu cross for dinner etc. So we're all sitting down to xmas dinner #2 on the Sunday. Poppet and Amber were trying to convince my grandmother that it would be really, really good of her to give them titbits (this is the woman who used to loathe animals!!) and I realised that Holly was being unusually.... quiet.

Cue panic. There was turkey on the table and other yummy things. What self-respecting dog doesn't stay near under those circs? hmmm... it occurred to my mum to glance out in the hall.

Now, immediately opposite the dining room there's a cloak room thingy. It happened to be open, and the light was off. All we could see was a pair of eyes staring out at us.... Holly wanted to get away from Poppet, but she still wanted to watch 'cos of the food! It was funny.

Bella (10 weeks) has just started hiding under the couch. It was so scary the first time as i had no clue where she was.

Soon she probably wont fit under there and will find another way to scare me to death!

oh god this thread brings back memories!some funny some awful lol!

my dad had pulled some floor up in the kitchen behind the washing machine so there was a hole about the size of a tennis ball.nina was 12 weeks old and i always had nightmares that nina would get down there and would be trapped under the house and we wouldnt be able to get her out.one day i couldnt find her and i was shouting her name and she wasnt coming!!!i could hear pattering of feet but i didnt know where it was coming from!!my blood ran cold and i turned to my mam and screamed ninas got under the floor i can hear her running around!i was crying and on the verge of passing out when my mam shouted the pattering of feet is coming from upstairs!!there nina was playing upstairs with a plastic bottle!!i had know idea she could get upstairs on her own!!talk about your mind running away with you lol!!!

the other morning i let all our dogs out to the toilet.as i was putting the fire on i could here kira barking but her bark was getting further away!!!!i ran out and the gate was wide open!!no dogs to be seen!!the whole tribe had got out at the same time!!!luckly they hadnt gone far and i manged to get them all in.how i did i dont know but when i got in my heart was pounding.my mam said i looked like a mad woman running around in my pjs bare foot.

but you dont think do you??you just go into overdrive???u just think about the dogs and not yourself.

I'm always afraid my two are going to get out. Breeze has a couple of times, but usually just comes around the front of the house and waits for someone to discover her. She doesn't go off with anybody. She would never leave the yard with anyone except me, I've tested her many times.

Scout on the other hand did escape about two weeks ago. Luckily my neighbor was looking out his front door and thought to himself, that looks like Scout. He went outside and she was three houses away. He called her and she came right to him. Thank God she knows him and he gives her treats so she always looks for him.

All I kept thinking is what would I have done if he didn't see her. What if she was gone forever, I just wouldn't know what to do. I don't think I would ever be the same not knowing where she was. Lots of people in the neighborhood know Scout and Breeze, I do that on purpose just incase something like this happens. Now I know they would bring big Breeze back, but someone would probably keep little Scout. I put an extra tag on her. Now not only is she microchipped, but she has three ID tags. Overkill?????

Possibly - But if it keeps Scout safe, who cares! I wish I'd been overkill with Heather, maybe I would have gotten her back :( Even though everyone in the neighborhood knew her, and knows all my dogs, it didn't do any good when I lost Heather!

Isn't it funny how we panic so easily when we think our furkids are in danger, even when they're safe? I'll tell you, after loosing Heather, even though from the start I felt fairly certain she'd just been stollen from the yard, I spend hundreds of dollars putting up a stronger, more secure fence, and putting locks on ALL the gates, so there's no chance of anyone opening a gate now unless they have the key! I also threatened their lives if anyone in the house let my dogs out without watching them, it's just not safe, even though the yard is secure, they COULD dig under the fence, or if they put their minds to it, climb the fence if they where left out there long enough without being supervised, but then again - I'm probably a TAD over protective, but if it keeps me from going through the heartache of loosing another dog, it's worth it!

Isn't it funny how we panic so easily when we think our furkids are in danger, even when they're safe?

I panic if I can't hear them snoring in the middle of the night and go around the house looking for them! So I don't think you are too over protective:)

Back