• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What a nightmare!!

Emma n Renco

Well as I already posted - Bella came into heat just as we had it arranged for her to have the op. Well that was 9 days ago and Harvey had had no interest in her it was all very weird as they weren't behaving any differently than normal. So we just kept watching them ALL the time and obviously never left them for a second.

However, we woke up this morning to a complete maniac Harvey in his crate. It's true what everyone says the behaviour is unreal!! They were kept in other ends of the apartments with the doors closed as always but they were going crazy. Harvey was throwing himself at the door trying to break through and howling and Bella was in the other one scratching her door and crying.

Needless to say we couldn't live like that so we booked Harvey in for the op after many mind changes, he goes in on the 25th just 3 days after his 1st birthday and Bella has gone to stay with my in laws until he's had the op and recovered again which is fantastic! Then as soon as we are able to get Bella spayed we will... Can't risk any more of those episodes! That is the first I've ever seen of on heat behaviour and I am glad to say it will also be my last!! Now it's back to endless cleaning to try and clear the smell of her out as much as possible...

Wow that must be amazing to see that switch. Kind of like teenage boys in hyperdrive! Nature has an incredibly strong call. It makes you understand why and how the males can stray -- leap walls out of gardens etc.

Just be aware that after a neuter it takes about 6 weeks or so (I am not sure of the time exactly but your vet will know -- at least a month or more) for a male to no longer be capable of siring a litter -- all the sperm need to die and they remain viable for a long time. It also takes a while for the testosterone to completely pass out of a male's system so you'll want her to be out of heat before they are together again. Then peace will be restored.

Just curious, would it be better to get the girl done, after her heat of course? There are great health benefits to getting a girl done.

Probably better to get them both done - all I got to say is that I am glad humans are not like that Darren throwing himself at the door - trying to get out the door more like....

Ha ha - I thought the same - imagine having such hormone surges!! The dogs can keep their reproductive instincts to themselves... crazy - and yes Bella needs a rest so she will be spayed as soon as the vet will do it. I wish that could be tomorrow so we could have her back as the house isn't the same without her...

Can I just ask a question? Mya is just turned 6 months and I was wondering on average when do females have their first heat? Thank You.

However, we woke up this morning to a complete maniac Harvey in his crate. It's true what everyone says the behaviour is unreal!! They were kept in other ends of the apartments with the doors closed as always but they were going crazy. Harvey was throwing himself at the door trying to break through and howling and Bella was in the other one scratching her door and crying.

It's really something to see, isn't it? It's one of those things you almost have to see to believe!

Sorry, Emma! I just read this, and I couldn't stop laughing when I read about Harvey and Bella trying to get intimate...
I know you miss Bella (read it on Facebook), so I just send you some warm hugs. I hope you can visit her soon!

yep the males go insane when the hormones kick in.also the females can be just as crazy if there not spayed. you could always tell when our females came into heat as theyd all start humping each other!its very weird and annoying after a while.

A couple of our boys are our early warning system for our girls. Even before the girls start spotting, the boys will get interested. Not crazy, just interested, but enough that we know the girl will start spotting in a few days and we have to start separating them.

Bruce, are the boys also (mildly) interested in the girls when they are pregnant? I was sure Ginger was in heat when she arrived in the boot (trunk) with Fred and I brought them (crated!) to Thelly because he was fascinated with what a friend refers to as 'lady bits' :lol: I was actually really surprised when the vet said she wasn't in heat, but of course we found out 10 days later that she was very pregnant. I imagine the girls give off a variety of hormones in pregnancy as well and wonder if they remain intriguing to the boys (even if not of the wall-climbing intensity of heat).

Karlin: Yes they do stay very interested after the girl has been bred and is pregnant. Not crazy or humping, just sniffing-type interested. Evidently it gets old hat for them because the interest seems to slack off somewhat after a few weeks.

Once puppies have been born, there is a renewed interest by all the dogs, not just the boys. I have always assumed it's just that the new mom has all kinds of different smells on her: hormones, the welping smells, the new puppies themselves, milk, etc. We even had an about 6 month old puppy make a half-hearted attempt at nursing on one of our new moms once. Let's just say he didn't make that mistake again :lol:. Again, they eventually lose interest after a while.

Evidently it gets old hat for them because the interest seems to slack off somewhat after a few weeks.

Men! :rolleyes:

That's really interesting though; that's just what Fred was like so I had feared she was just coming into heat. Little did we know the dirty deed was already done, and by a (cough) LAB! :lol:

miss daisy posted a couple in the Puppy section a while back -- friends of hers took one. Thelly has also posted some of her mum's girl.

Back