• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

is it ok?

Harry & Heidi's mom

to let Heidi sleep in the kitchen?

i have had her sleeping in my bedroom since we got her and since monday night she has been waking every 2 hours!! and not for a wee lol
and i need to get some sleep as i'm making mistakes at work

help

Hi

I think it's good that you get her used to sleeping in the kitchen. If you have a crate or bed for your dogs it is good to get them used to it sooner rather than later. We bought our crate (boxer sized of course for a Cav that likes to stretch out at night lol) :)

Rio used to sleep in a cat bed in the hall at first then in his little carrier and as soon as he knew we were all going to bed he started to scratch the doors and whine at night at the beginning that in order for him to adjust we had to opt for the kitchen or we would all get no sleep. We looked like John Dear from Lady and the Tramp putting a mischevious Lady back to bed.

All in all, its been worth it. Rio now loves his crate the door is always open and he is in there from about 8.30 until 7.30 am and then comes into our beds for a snuggle, if we go back to bed when one of us is off of work. Pups definitely strive off a routine and I believe crates are good to let them know that this is their space and their shelter. We put a towel over his crate so he has some peace and quiet if the house is hustle bustle sometimes he just likes his time on his own and goes to his crate for a while. It will take Heidi a while to get used to it but its worth it in the end:)

Both of mine have their beds in the kitchen, when I lock up the house at night they both go to their beds without been told, I would never get any sleep if they were in the bedroom with them snoring all night.

You can have a dog sleep anywhere that suits you. Once the dog knows that is where it stays, it is not really going to care -- it will be asleep. Mine don;t care whether they are with me or in a crate in another room -- they always sleep in crates when boarding. But you probably will have to get up at 3am or so to take her out at her age for a while yet.

Thanks guys,

Harry usually sleeps in the kitchen but he was sleeping on my bed when Heidi was upstairs with me as i didn't want him feeling left out.

Well last night i put them to put at 11pm in the kitchen, came down at half 2 and she didn't want to go (took her outside for 20 mins and she just sat and looke at me lol)
Then put her back to bed and got up at half 6, she went outside and done her business

it's good to finally get some sleep lol

Dylan has slept in his crate from day one. I slept at a friends house on Sunday and, though I keep a spare crate there, my friend only had a towel to put in the bottom of it. So I let Dylan sleep with me until about 5am when I'd totally had enough of the snoring and he insisted on sleeping between my legs so I couldn't move!

You've gotta get your sleep!

Back